.DWF format issue revisited

After doing a search, I encountered a heap of questions, a cupful of discussion, and a teaspoon of links.

CADViewer is apparently $1000 to $12000 per copy, and is no longer available as a demo. (Tailor Made Software)

There is a plugin available for AutoCAD, which imports dwf files to a .dwg, but it is an AutoCAD plugin only.

Is anybody aware of a cheap viewer / converter that runs on the Mac?

• 4 weeks later...

DWF is not the greatest format to be converting from. In a pinch, it will do. But most of the "CAD Inteligence" of the "drawing" is gone. Text, for example, is no longer text - it is composed of individual line strokes. Text would have to be re-entered to be editable. AutoCAD blocks are no longer blocks - just the "lines and circles" that made them up.

If you only want to view the file, you can open autocad dwg files in adobe Illustrator, which is pricey enough if you won't use it for anything else. You need to reset the page parameters to show the whole drawing. Of course all the lines show up in the colours the autocad user has used. You could not import directly to any cad program from this, but you can probably make an image file.

I do not know much about AutoCad although I keep trying to export VW files to it but could you save your files as PDF files in AutoCad as we can do in VectorWorks. That is what I am doing to send files to AutoCad through email one by one (they are splitted in 2,3 or more with Stuffit in order not to block the 10 MB usually available from the Provider)