Plant symbols are giving me a headache...

Jean-Marc

Further to a previous posting, I am having a real problem with the placement of plant symbols.

After I have placed more than a dozen or so plant symbols, the program starts to slow right down. I am working on a drawing that has only about 150 plants, and to add any more at this time is painfully slow; it takes from 5-10 seconds to place/delete/edit a plant symbol. When I attempt to select a symbol, my cursor clicks around through adjacent symbols until it finally locks onto the desired object.

Styles are off, as is the 3d symbol.

I'm running v10.1 on a Pentium 3, 500mhz, 640meg RAM.

By place/edit/delete, I am just referring to any attempt to place, edit, copy, delete, move, or even just select the symbols. I am not referring to editting the plant catalogue. Say I want to copy and paste a symbol using the Ctl key; for several seconds, the greyed outline of the copied symbol bounces and clicks around other symbols (with smart cursor cues poppiing up) wherever I have dragged my cursor until it finally comes to rest where I want it.

(I might be wrong, but I think I might have seen a refernce to this problem elsewhere on the Board as the "rubber band effect"?)

[ 02-26-2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc ]

Before I send the file, perhaps you can tell me if I the problem is in how I am using the place plant tool. To draw plant massings, I have been placing individual plants and/or copying and pasting individual plants, rather than using the "cluster" plant placement option. Consequently, it would appear that each plant has an invisible tag associated with it. The tag display is off, but when I select a plant, tag handles also show up. Might this have something to do with the problem?

That, Robert, is a good question, to which I can only respond "I didn't know any better". Up until about an hour ago, I was still stuck in the old v. 8.5 method of manually placing plant symbols. For some reason, I just wasn't getting how the place plant tool worked. But this symbol problem forced me to re-read the manual, and after a bit of experimentation, my problem is solves. I am now using the place plant tool and am thrilled with its functionality. Sorry for taking up your time with this one.

JM