BIM Modelling Existing Walls

AJIsaaks

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what is the best way to model existing walls in VW BIM. I have been researching a lot online through forums, I understand most people get a 'BIM Ready Survey' made...but I was wondering how these are produced?

I am newish to Vectorworks but I have used Revit at a previous practice. We always had a dozen or so wall types to represent our survey, usually a singular detached house - some walls are 150mm, some are 155mm, others 120mm and so on...it's tedious but it works. However, I am at a new practice who only use 2D VW and I am putting a case together for BIM using one of our old projects with a measured survey, but the problem happens along the party wall. 

The wall kicks out in places, there's at least 15 different thicknesses of the wall (and that's only the ground floor). There's chimney breasts as well that jut out but then steps in for the hearth. I've tried 'lining' each side of the wall which does kind of work but I feel there must be a better way. I've tried using the Create Wall Projection/Recess but it's very difficult to use and only works in very simple cases (I find the geometry changes are using the command). The best I have come up with so far is using a Virtual Wall as that has no thickness and still appears in elevations...I would then trace over this with a polygon for the graphics.

I would appreciate if anyone can point me to a resource for this topic and to hear how others deal with this issue. My directors always say 'BIM is only good for new builds when it's a blank canvas and the walls are neat and tidy' but I refuse to believe this as a lot of construction projects is renovation...BIM must have a place and I'm determined to exhaust all avenues to see if it is worthwhile. 

Thank you kindly,

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi,

As you've discovered, there is no ONE answer.  My advice is to use the Wall Tool along with the Wall Projection/Recess for as much of the project as you can.  You'll need to create as many "typical" wall styles as required.  The alternative, and in conjunction with the wall tool, is to model the wall(s) using extrudes, NURBS surfaces, etc. With these scenarios, windows and doors can be "set" in an opening...they won't actually be hosted into the extruded object, but they will show (and can be scheduled)...I believe Revit makes you actually host doors and windows into objects...it's not necessary to do so in Vectorworks.  The wall tool obviously offers alot more automation, that's why it's the "go to" object.

Wes

Thank you both for the replies. And Wes, I really enjoy your videos so I hope you continue making them. 

I've done some experimenting with the Wall Tool + Wall Projection: it works well but can be slightly temperamental if you have a double-sided wall, like a party wall (i couldn't manage 2x layers of polygon and a wall core without it acting strangely). For external walls I can see it will work very wall as you would trace the outside footprint with the Wall Tool then fill in the interior using Wall Projection. I'm also having trouble 'releasing' the Wall Projection (i.e. separating the wall from the polygon). I particularly like the wrap options available.

The Pillar tool is an interesting one which I never considered and actually works very well - I was worried that the pillar wouldn't recognise as a wall when painting spaces, but it worked. My only gripe is that you cannot place a door/window on the pillar itself but it's a very neat solution. The Pillar method works really well for existing stuff if this were to remain grey/white/black for graphics, but it doesn't inherit the wall properties like the projection method does. 

I couple more questions which have occurred to me:

1) What is the best method for lining an existing wall/party wall? i.e. stud work as cavity then plaster board to square the room off. 

2) What are your (and anybody else's) opinions on Vectorworks and other BIM programs capabilities for renovation work? Is it more hassle than it's worth?

Thanks,

Adam