Make Stake Object into Universal Coordinate Marker

Kevin McAllister

Question

I wish the Stake object would be made into a universal coordinate marker useable easily by multiple disciplines. Needed improvements -

1. the ability to show both a coordinate point and the ID label on the drawing at the same time.
  2. the ability to customize labels for direction. For example I would like to make N = US (Upstage).
  3. the ability to capture the complete coordinate label including direction, amount and unit from the Stake record. Right now you have to use the coordinates function so coordinate information appears differently on the drawing than in a worksheet or report.
  4. the text should conform to VW Text Style standards.
  5. why does the distance between the marker and the text change when you scale the marker? this relationship should remain constant.

Thanks,

Kevin

9 answers to this question

+1 all of the above.

5 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

the ability to capture the complete coordinate label including direction, amount and unit from the Stake record. Right now you have to use the coordinates function so coordinate information appears differently on the drawing than in a worksheet or report.

Isn't that strange???  The Record>Stake includes a Z Value, but no x or y.  And stakes are commonly used in site design to indicate Easting and Northing in prop boundaries, roadway and other stationing, feature centers, etc., so it seems to me that  the Record>Stake list should have xy coordinates  and Northing/Easting value options rather than depending on the Function list.

Adding some ideas and whining, some of these are other's ideas from past threads:

6.  In the worksheet Record choices we see Stake and Stake Records.  Not self identifying!  The Records>Stake Records pulldown menu could be renamed Stationing or similar because that's the type of data fields in the list.

7.  Stake labels could have a z offset so they float above a surface, esp a site model, but stay parallel to ground plane.

8.  Wish - Ability to stand up a stake label so it is perpendicular to ground plane.  Include option to have it always display facing the screen similar to Image Prop view options.

9.  Add a target graphic to the marker list so that the stake could be used as an Elevation Benchmark (universal 3d marker!). Include ability to display on any plane and always face screen.

10.  Allow custom shapes for 2d and 3d markers. I might want a target or a tetrahedron or a 6 axis widget rather than the current 3d extrude.

11.  Create a way for label bubbles (hex, oval, etc) to display surrounding the Stake ID in a worksheet.  Or is there already a way to do this?  I workaround by drawing hex bubbles or whatever over the text in the worksheet cells.

12.  Stake IDs seem to be limited to numbers.  Add capability for Letter IDs and for the Auto Number to sequentially name them (A,B,C, etc)

13.  Add ability for a series of auto numbered stakes to adjust to a new stake inserted into the lineup.  eg a new stake added between existing # 3 & 4 becomes the new #4. The prev #4 and all the higher numbered stake IDs increase by one number (or one letter).

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

Yes to all of the above.

Also:

14. The ability to set unit precision. For example, I work in feet & inches with precision set to 1/8", though I often change printed dimensions to "No Fractions". I wish the stake object also had a "No Fractions" option, without having to change the document units.

15. There needs to be a hyphen between the feet and inches when coordinates are displayed. For example, 2'-5" instead of 2'5".

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Adding some ideas

Love all the additional thoughts.

12 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

15. There needs to be a hyphen between the feet and inches when coordinates are displayed. For example, 2'-5" instead of 2'5".

^ this should be true anywhere in VW dimensional data appears. Not sure why we have to ask for it since as far as I know its a standard.

Kevin

1 minute ago, Kevin McAllister said:

15. There needs to be a hyphen between the feet and inches when coordinates are displayed. For example, 2'-5" instead of 2'5".

^ this should be true anywhere in VW dimensional data appears. Not sure why we have to ask for it since as far as I know its a standard.

Exactly. I specifically remember having this issue with dimensions shown in Worksheets, which seems pretty basic (though I haven't used Worksheets much in the last year or two so perhaps there's been a fix for this).

These are all useful suggestions and I could definitely use them, Using the stake object as coordinate markers does have some advantages over a custom symbol but the above suggestions would make it a more flexible and usable tool.

Two additional suggestions, for using it as a coordinate marker, is that it would be nice if you could use any symbol to indicate the type of marker (e.g. boreholes, CPTs etc.) and a coordinate range/series so that you can have multiple series of coordinate markers each with their own numbering range (e.g. A1,A2 etc, and B1, B2 etc.)

I agree that a display of a - between feet and inches would be a good addition, but the part that makes this hard is that VW does math in all of the numeric input boxes.

If you enter 1'-3" should that be interpreted as 1' and 3" or should it be 1' minus 3" given a result of 0'-9"

I am sure there are ways around this, but it is not an easy/quick fix.

6 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I agree that a display of a - between feet and inches would be a good addition, but the part that makes this hard is that VW does math in all of the numeric input boxes.

If you enter 1'-3" should that be interpreted as 1' and 3" or should it be 1' minus 3" given a result of 0'-9"

I am sure there are ways around this, but it is not an easy/quick fix.

I think OIP input boxes would remain as they are now without the hyphen (which makes sense because of the ability to do subtraction, as you mention), but places where dimensions are displayed for print need to always have the hyphen (just like the Dimension tool currently does). Otherwise it's poor drafting.