Bar Offset of Muntin in Transom of Door Not Functional

sergio_max

Question

Quick question about the 'Bar Offset' Function within the 'Muntins' tab of the 'Transom' Editor of a Door; I would like a vertical bar to be offset a few inches to align with the Right Jamb of the Door. The Default for Vectorworks 2017 is to place it in the middle of the transom. But when I try to change the value of that bar offset, It will not let me. I cannot even highlight the value with my cursor. The parameter appears to be editable like the rest of them above it, however when I can click in the box, I am not able to. Would anyone know how to remedy this issue? Thanks

Capture.thumb.JPG.fa81221d8b213a605af595e39a503994.JPG

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
16 hours ago, sergio_max said:

Quick question about the 'Bar Offset' Function within the 'Muntins' tab of the 'Transom' Editor of a Door; I would like a vertical bar to be offset a few inches to align with the Right Jamb of the Door. The Default for Vectorworks 2017 is to place it in the middle of the transom. But when I try to change the value of that bar offset, It will not let me. I cannot even highlight the value with my cursor. The parameter appears to be editable like the rest of them above it, however when I can click in the box, I am not able to. Would anyone know how to remedy this issue? Thanks

Hi Sergio,

This setting is for setting the offset for the Prairie Style muntins only. Unfortunately, there is no setting to offset the Colonial muntins as you describe.

4 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Hi Sergio,

This setting is for setting the offset for the Prairie Style muntins only. Unfortunately, there is no setting to offset the Colonial muntins as you describe.

Matt,

Thanks for your response. I was able to figure out a way to solve this issue by making the side light a little bit shorter in width, which ultimately consolidated the overall length of the entire door unit in both the x & y directions, which got me closer to where I wanted to place the vertical muntin in the door transom. In the future, is there a better way to model a door/transom/side lite combo? Perhaps an individual door, coupled with two custom windows on the top and side, respectively? Thanks in advance!

Best,

Sergio

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
55 minutes ago, sergio_max said:

Matt,

Thanks for your response. I was able to figure out a way to solve this issue by making the side light a little bit shorter in width, which ultimately consolidated the overall length of the entire door unit in both the x & y directions, which got me closer to where I wanted to place the vertical muntin in the door transom. In the future, is there a better way to model a door/transom/side lite combo? Perhaps an individual door, coupled with two custom windows on the top and side, respectively? Thanks in advance!

Best,

Sergio

Sergio,

Good to hear you managed to get something close to what you were after. Obviously, we cannot expect users to redesign their doors like this just to get a muntin to line up. :-) Another way to deal with this would be to create a symbol of the door object and model the muntin as a separate object. If you'd like to keep it as a Door plug-in object for scheduling, you can use the symbol's geometry within the Door object.

This is how I would do this. I'm including a lot of details so this looks more complicated than it is:

1. Place the your door in the wall with the desired settings. For now, leave the transom muntin on.
  2. Select the Door and use the "Create Symbol" command in the Modify menu (use the "Leave Instance in Place" option).
    You should now have a new symbol in the Resource Browser and the door plug-in in the wall should now be an instance of the symbol.
  3. If you prefer to have the door in the wall as a Door object (not a symbol), select it and use the command "Convert to Group" under the Modify/Convert menu. FYI: The reason you may want to keep it a Door object would be for scheduling and IDs.
    The instance in the wall should now be a Door object. This object no longer has any connection to the symbol.
  4. Edit the Door object's Settings, go to the Genteel tab, select the "Use Symbol Geometry" checkbox, and select the symbol you created in step #2. Click OK.
     The Door object is now using the geometry from the symbol. Now we'll need to edit the symbol to suit our needs.
  5. In the Resource Manager, right-click on the symbol and choose Edit 3D Component. You can now select and edit the Door object within the symbol. From here, you could turn off the transom muntin in the door and model your own from scratch, or you could start from the muntin the Door already created. Because I'm lazy, I would choose the second option.
  6. While still in Edit Symbol mode, select the Door, Copy, Paste in Place, and Ungroup. You should no have a collection of objects selected. From here, I usually  Group them to keep them all together.
  7. With the group I just created, now "Edit Group", select the muntin object (an extrude), Copy, exit the group, delete the group, Paste In Place and you will have the muntin extrude in place.
  8. Edit the Door's settings and turn off the transom muntins.
  9. Double-click on the muntin extrude to edit it's source polygon, reshape it as needed to get the vertical bar aligned, then exit the extrude.
  10. Exit the Symbol and you're done.

I hope this helps more than it confuses. :-)

On 1/30/2018 at 11:30 AM, Matt Panzer said:

Sergio,

Good to hear you managed to get something close to what you were after. Obviously, we cannot expect users to redesign their doors like this just to get a muntin to line up. :-) Another way to deal with this would be to create a symbol of the door object and model the muntin as a separate object. If you'd like to keep it as a Door plug-in object for scheduling, you can use the symbol's geometry within the Door object.

This is how I would do this. I'm including a lot of details so this looks more complicated than it is:

1. Place the your door in the wall with the desired settings. For now, leave the transom muntin on.
  2. Select the Door and use the "Create Symbol" command in the Modify menu (use the "Leave Instance in Place" option).
    You should now have a new symbol in the Resource Browser and the door plug-in in the wall should now be an instance of the symbol.
  3. If you prefer to have the door in the wall as a Door object (not a symbol), select it and use the command "Convert to Group" under the Modify/Convert menu. FYI: The reason you may want to keep it a Door object would be for scheduling and IDs.
    The instance in the wall should now be a Door object. This object no longer has any connection to the symbol.
  4. Edit the Door object's Settings, go to the Genteel tab, select the "Use Symbol Geometry" checkbox, and select the symbol you created in step #2. Click OK.
     The Door object is now using the geometry from the symbol. Now we'll need to edit the symbol to suit our needs.
  5. In the Resource Manager, right-click on the symbol and choose Edit 3D Component. You can now select and edit the Door object within the symbol. From here, you could turn off the transom muntin in the door and model your own from scratch, or you could start from the muntin the Door already created. Because I'm lazy, I would choose the second option.
  6. While still in Edit Symbol mode, select the Door, Copy, Paste in Place, and Ungroup. You should no have a collection of objects selected. From here, I usually  Group them to keep them all together.
  7. With the group I just created, now "Edit Group", select the muntin object (an extrude), Copy, exit the group, delete the group, Paste In Place and you will have the muntin extrude in place.
  8. Edit the Door's settings and turn off the transom muntins.
  9. Double-click on the muntin extrude to edit it's source polygon, reshape it as needed to get the vertical bar aligned, then exit the extrude.
  10. Exit the Symbol and you're done.

I hope this helps more than it confuses. :-)

Matt,

Hey thanks for the tip! I was able to use your advice to get the solution I wanted! Kudos to you, sir!

Best.

Sergio