Referenced Images

Kevin McAllister

Question

I have a question about referenced images. If an image is referenced into a file it normally shows up in the References pane of the Navigation Palette. However in trying to troubleshoot another users forum post I discovered if the referenced image is put into a symbol it does NOT show up the References pane. How do you find its path or update the link for a referenced image in this situation?

It feels like workflow for referenced images is a bit incomplete. Shouldn't clicking on the image within the file show you the path, give you an option to update it and also show you if its out of date/broken in the OIP?

Kevin

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I suspect this is a bug. If I import a reference image, duplicate it and then create a symbol from one of them, then delete the referenced image that isn't inside a symbol, the reference still shows in the Nav palette, but when i edit the source image in preview and then try to update the reference, it does not function. Nor did the out of date flagging appear. 

If I copy that symbol over to a new file, the reference does not show up at all, and then when editing the symbol the image still claims to be referenced, even though this is not the case.

There are no existing bugs on this that I can find, I have filed it as VB-147704

2 hours ago, JimW said:

I suspect this is a bug. If I import a reference image, duplicate it and then create a symbol from one of them, then delete the referenced image that isn't inside a symbol, the reference still shows in the Nav palette, but when i edit the source image in preview and then try to update the reference, it does not function. Nor did the out of date flagging appear. 

If I copy that symbol over to a new file, the reference does not show up at all, and then when editing the symbol the image still claims to be referenced, even though this is not the case.

There are no existing bugs on this that I can find, I have filed it as VB-147704

Thanks Jim. The way I managed to create the scenario I described was to cut and paste the referenced image into a symbol, all within the same file. The image still says its referenced, but its reference disappears from the References pane of the Navigation viewport.

I'm going to also add a wish list item to ask that the link path can be accessed from the OIP while the referenced image is selected.

Kevin