Multiple Types of Title Blocks in Single File

I have a file which requires a few different title blocks depending on what type of information is being presented & who the sheet will be sent to.

I have 3 different title block styles int he file; A, B, & C.

Each of those title blocks has different fields that are required.

When I go to add or delete a field to that title block style those changes carry over into the other 2 title blocks. For example, if I edit the Title Block A style and add a "Vendor" field to the sheet data section the Vendor field will now appear as an option in the sheet data of title blocks B & C. 

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to have 3 different sets of project & sheet data in a single file?

9 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello GlueDT92,

All Title Block Borders in a single file have the same sets of Project/Sheet data.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Nikolay,

Out of curiosity what happens then when a file is brought forward from VW2017 that had multiple different title blocks / title block record formats. I assume the fields of the first title block record format to be converted would make the basis for the Project/Sheet data, but what happens as you convert the other title blocks in the same file but with different record formats? Do unique fields get added to the Project/Sheet data record?

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Kevin,

The Project/Sheet Data in the Title Block Border have the same basis fields no matter if updated or newly created. When updating file with multiple Sheet Borders the union of all fields will remain for Project/Sheet Data, without duplicates. However, if there are fields "File Name" and "Filename", they will be counted as different and will be both present. This is no matter if you update the old Sheet Borders one by one or all at once.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• 4 years later...
20 hours ago, Kyk_al said:

Hi there, has this been updated since 2018? Is it possible now to have different title blocks with different project names in different sheets? Thank you

- Hello @Kyk_al,

Title Block Project Data is still document wide and this is by design. If you want to have data that is different on the different sheets in the same file you can use the Title Block Sheet Data and add whatever fields you require there.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

To slightly expand on Nikolay's comment.

All the Title Block Border objects in a drawing share the same Project Data

Each TBB object has its own Sheet Data.

Two ways to proceed.

1. Don't use the Project Data in some of the TBB objects and use only the Sheet Data. That way you can control exactly what goes on each TBB, but you lose the ability to change the data in multiple TBB at the same time.

2. Create a separate file and reference the first file in. Make your sheet layers that need the different Project information in the second file. Then you can have the same drawings showing with different title blocks and still use the full Project/Sheet capabilities of the TBB. But if you have a lot of information in the Annotations of the viewports this might not work so well as on the Design Layers can be referenced, not the Sheet Layers.

HTH

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

2. Create a separate file and reference the first file in. Make your sheet layers that need the different Project information in the second file. Then you can have the same drawings showing with different title blocks and still use the full Project/Sheet capabilities of the TBB. But if you have a lot of information in the Annotations of the viewports this might not work so well as on the Design Layers can be referenced, not the Sheet Layers.

- I think that even when referenced TBBs should use the same Project Data when in the same file, because that should be the point of document wide data, isn't it?

I just tested.

Created a file, placed objects on design layer and created a VP on a sheet layer and placed a version of Custom Title Block 2.  I set the Project Name to Referenced File.

Created a second file and created a VP referencing the DL from the first file.  I placed a version of Custom Title Block 2. I set the Project Name to REFERENCING FILE. 

I was then able to change the Project Data in either file without effecting the other.

I know there is a way to link TBBs across different files if that is a requirement, but it appears to also be possible to keep them separate.

17 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

I just tested.

Created a file, placed objects on design layer and created a VP on a sheet layer and placed a version of Custom Title Block 2.  I set the Project Name to Referenced File.

Created a second file and created a VP referencing the DL from the first file.  I placed a version of Custom Title Block 2. I set the Project Name to REFERENCING FILE. 

I was then able to change the Project Data in either file without effecting the other.

I know there is a way to link TBBs across different files if that is a requirement, but it appears to also be possible to keep them separate.

- Okay, referenced viewports are another thing. They just give you the view of the TBB but do not get the actual TBB in the file. So yeah, that is a valid way to see more than 1 TBB in the same file with different project data. Thanks for verifying! 🙂