Classes and Viewports

Viewports are great and I am learning to use them, however, there are some weaknesses. When setting up viewports, each viewport can be assigned layers and classes for each viewport. When setting up "sheets" now called "views" layers and classes can also be set, however, a "view" does not allow for the selection of "sheet" layers where viewports reside. There is no way to control which classes are turned on in viewports. Just be sure to have all classes turned on to be sure that the classes defined in viewports actually display. There is no one step way to guarantee that all classes display in viewports. To test this, turn all classes off, then select a viewport. Only the active class will display. It seems to me that viewports should be smart enough to automatically turn on classes which are defined by each viewport, respective to that viewport.

I too have been turning on all classes in viewports as default approach, however this seems to have resulted in excessive time when the view port is updated with hidden line rendering mode. (Several mins. for a two story house with typical interior wall and fixtures. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

Originally posted by compusam:

"There is no way to control which classes are turned on in viewports."

If you select a viewport and look at the OIP, you will see a button for classes. You can turn classes on and off for that viewport. Am I missing something here, or does that solve your problem?

Kevin,

your right about the class control for the viewport it's self.

The problem seems to be that VW's general class vissiblity setting at the time will override that of the Viewport.

So that if a class is turned off generally it won't show up in that viewport, even if the class is on for the viewport set in the OIP.

Bohlr

In the same way, if the viewports class settings turn off the classes but the generally setting are all on does that speed up your rendering times?

matt

compusam

You can create a saved view with a sheet layer. Although sheet layers don't appear in the layer settings box you can select it as the active layer (sheet layers are limited to active only). Classes can be set as usual.

It would be make sense to do this if you use classes for annotations as they (annotations within a viewport) seem to be independent of the viewport settings which is a nuisance.

I have never experienced class settings overriding a viewport and can't reproduce what is being discussed here.

Viewport class settings are independent of the global settings - they would be useless otherwise. Are you talking about objects on the annotation layer of a viewport?

Grant M

Thanks for the tip to save views with a sheet layer as the active sheet. I should have thought of that myself. That method works and will save me some time.

As regards the visibility of classes in Viewports, as I mentioned in my original post, select a sheet layer with view ports on it. Turn off all classes and select some class that is not being used so that it becomes the active class. Everything disappears. Now select a class which is used and those elements, but not others, will appear. Since others in this post are experiencing the same, mine is not an isolated case.

In any event, your suggestion is a nice work-around.