Vectorworks Design Summit - 2018

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 11/11/2018 at 5:06 PM, Andrew Pollock said:

Sadly I could not make the summit this year. I really wanted to.

Will there be any rebroadcasts of key notes or other means to join the fun after the fact?

I am fairly certain we will be putting the keynote up first and somewhat soon, but I do not know the release schedule for the recordings of the sessions, they may not be public for some time.

On 4/19/2018 at 3:18 PM, markdd said:

Here are four topics that I would certainly find helpful.

1. Rendering using the new Parallax Shader. The pros and cons.
  2. Rendering using the Noise shaders. You did a helpful guide a while back but a really thorough look at some creative uses of these would be very interesting.
  3. A tutorial about various techniques to create soft directional light. 
  4. Adding grunge! It's relatively easy to create photorealistic renders that are pristine, however many of us in the entertainment sector spend a huge amount of time making things look imperfect. In the same way that adding props to a room can bring it to life, what about some tips on adding the age and wear to a scene.

Just a few thoughts.

I didnt get to do ANY of this at the Summit, even though I did do a lot of research and testing for these topics. I thought I was getting a longer chunk of time but I only had time to cover some other things related to lit fog and controlling lighting that I thought would be more pressing.

Since these items got cut, I plan to create a few video tech tips on them instead soon.

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

I had a truly fantastic time at this summit. I spoke and shared a few rounds with @Wesley Burrows, @willofmaine, @michaelk, @Pat Stanford, @Jan-Burger TROOST, and at least a half dozen other regulars here on the forum and they were treated to the dubious honor of having me pour words out at them in person. Which I am told is similar to being near a running jet engine.

The main complaint I heard from most of the folks I talked to was a sore brain from trying to store all the things they learned, and that they wanted it to last even longer than it did. Which in my opinion, are two very healthy "problems" for an event to have. Once I hear tell of where we might be hosting the next one; I'll try to spill the beans on it at soon as possible 😉

Next time... MORE messy selfies after Old Fashioneds.

Sore brain? RDF you mean! 🤓

At the Summit all was fine, back in school I learned a Reality Distortion Field has that name for a reason… 

Looking forward to all the future contributions of y’all — be it summit or the forum. Thanks again for hosting the event the way you did! 

56 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

... they were treated to the dubious honor of having me pour words out at them in person.

There is truly nothing like The Jim Wlison Show.

As always, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience, your passion and energy, and you. That comes from not only me but every person I spoke with about your sessions. I believe you have insprired a whole new wave of users to take charge of their renderings and squeeze more out of them in sensible, valuable ways.

Kudos!

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Neil Barman said:

As always, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience, your passion and energy, and you. That comes from not only me but every person I spoke with about your sessions. I believe you have insprired a whole new wave of users to take charge of their renderings and squeeze more out of them in sensible, valuable ways.

Kudos!

Thank you very much! If I can help anyone create awesome products, buildings, landscapes or entire worlds from scratch, I'm more than happy to do so.

(While Neil is indeed an employee here now, I assure you he is not paid to tolerate me 😉 )

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2