Vectorworks Design Summit - 2018

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The 2018 Design Summit has been scheduled and a location chosen, save the date! This year we are headed a good bit further west in the US than we have in the past, to Phoenix Arizona! I've never been personally, but looking at the resort we have picked out, it seems pretty awesome.

November 4th-6th, 2018
Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass
5594 W. Wild Horse Pass Blvd., Phoenix, AZ

You can sign up HERE to be kept informed of the details as they become public. We are still selecting and taking feedback on the various sessions that will be included, direct your input HERE. If you wish to be considered as a speaker or trainer (that's what I'll be doing too!), click HERE.

Last year we packed in training to the brim and this year is shaping up to be much the same! Training is always the most highly requested activity, so we won't slice any off the schedule. There are also discussions on how we can integrate some more allotted time for user Q&A, but I'll have more details on that later.

It's still early and not everything is set in stone yet, but feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll do my best to to answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much! I was crushed when I wasn't able to make it last year (if I am honest, it had way more to do with work schedule than distance).

Given that it is in Phoenix however, makes it a single flight, and friends in the area that can help with recommendations. Sign me up Coach, i am all in!

Cheers & I can't wait to see any and all that will attend.

Ion

• 2 months later...

I've been told I'll get to have two session windows to present at this summit!  I'll be doing most likely an Architectural focused session and and Entertainment focused session since there is SOME crossover but a lot of the rules change for a concert venue vs an exterior building render for instance.

No promises on the exact topics yet, but if anyone would like to put forward any rendering topic requests, I'm all ears.

• Like 1
On 18/04/2018 at 6:37 PM, JimW said:

I've been told I'll get to have two session windows to present at this summit!  I'll be doing most like an Architectural focused session and and Entertainment focused session since there is SOME crossover but a lot of the rules change for a concert venue vs an exterior building render for instance.

No promises on the exact topics yet, but if anyone would like to put forward any rendering topic requests, I'm all ears.

Here are four topics that I would certainly find helpful.

1. Rendering using the new Parallax Shader. The pros and cons.
  2. Rendering using the Noise shaders. You did a helpful guide a while back but a really thorough look at some creative uses of these would be very interesting.
  3. A tutorial about various techniques to create soft directional light. 
  4. Adding grunge! It's relatively easy to create photorealistic renders that are pristine, however many of us in the entertainment sector spend a huge amount of time making things look imperfect. In the same way that adding props to a room can bring it to life, what about some tips on adding the age and wear to a scene.

Just a few thoughts.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

We just opened up "Pre-Early Bird🐦registration, which ends June 22nd. This is the cheapest the tickets will be, so if you were already planning to go now is the time to grab them. The price generally increases slowly from the end of this offer right up until the event.

@JimW

Super! I'm getting some info together for my employer, and want to confirm a few details.

Is the pre-early-bird waived resort fee referring to the $199/night fee for accommodations, or is there another resort-related fee that is waived? 

Any news on extending the conference for an extra day of marionette? (This is particularly exciting to us.)

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, cxs said:

Is the pre-early-bird waived resort fee referring to the $199/night fee for accommodations, or is there another resort-related fee that is waived? 

Checked with the organizers: The $199 is an additional fee for the room itself, and the user would have to pay that. We are covering the additional housekeeping and "Resort" fees which gives you access to the resorts facilities (gym, pool etc)

The conference will not be officially extended for an additional day, there was discussion of having an add-on even organized by some of our prominent users, but that is not handled/organized by us.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Bas Vellekoop said:

Any changes of moving the whole Design Summit to september/oktober? 🤣

I`m in the neighborhood at that time 😁

We'll be doing other interesting things in those months! But nay the Summit is keeping a respectful distance from release this year, which pleases most of us employees to no end. Both are work enough on their own ;)

• Laugh 1
On 4/19/2018 at 3:18 PM, markdd said:

Adding grunge! It's relatively easy to create photorealistic renders that are pristine, however many of us in the entertainment sector spend a huge amount of time making things look imperfect. In the same way that adding props to a room can bring it to life, what about some tips on adding the age and wear to a scene.

What kinds of objects would you like to see me grunge up?

What about various types of dirty glass? 

Taking standard textures like floors and hopefully showing how shaders like noise can be used to make things look worn.

It occurred to me that adding a grunge decal to objects might be a good technique. I guess a good look at how one could use what’s already built in to Vectorworks to break down pristine textures and make them take on some age and character.

• 3 weeks later...

Reminder: If you already plan to attend the Summit but haven't grabbed your tickets yet, now is the time. The price will go up as of June 22 and historically keeps increasing from that point up until the day of the event.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 12:36 PM, nikihoops said:

Are there any design summits coming in the UK?

I have not heard solid plans for this yet, but I want this too. Both because we should absolutely be hosting them outside of the US as well as inside, but also because I reallllly want to see the Giant's Causeway in person.

• 3 months later...

Also! The Design Summit app is up on both the app stores:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobile.appDZV6GWZo6I

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vectorworks-design-summit/id1437834624?mt=8

It has the full schedule and you can reserve a place in the various sessions. Definitely worth doing ahead of time as some of the sessions with hands on training are filling up already. We also announce things through it as well, so it's worth leaving it installed and leaving it's notifications active until you head home.

• Like 1