Align and distribute along path

Gaspar Potocnik

Question

3 answers to this question

Determining the order along path could be either by object ID record in alpha numeric order, or by placing the objects in desired order on the path. Running the command corrects their spacing.

What is the current workaround? Duplicate Along Path with some placeholder symbol?  Use the Replace Symbol function in OIP to place desired symbol at location. . . then aim . . . then update the worksheet . . . test render . . .

-B

6 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

Determining the order along path could be either by object ID record in alpha numeric order, or by placing the objects in desired order on the path. Running the command corrects their spacing.

I would prefer the second option, the same way the align and distribute works.

7 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

What is the current workaround? Duplicate Along Path with some placeholder symbol?  Use the Replace Symbol function in OIP to place desired symbol at location. . . then aim . . . then update the worksheet . . . test render . . .

Thats my current workaround, but it always means tweaking around and having to make additional math to get ir right...

Riffing on the wish (I like it!):

I think the function could be helpful to many vwx disciplines, so a generalized Distribute Along Path would be included in all modules. Draw a path, snap some objects to it, run the command. Reposition a selection of doors & windows in a wall without loosing the "In Wall" designation. etc

Spotlight users might want a sooper dooper version allowing for a truss (eg the axis of the bottom stringer or other truss component) or a pipe to be designated as the path without need for creating a separate path object.  Devices and positions that are distributed retain status and relationship to their support (path) objects - the aim/focus, or other qualities of path & object when the command repositions them. Eg the light slides along the pipe, AND stays focused to same point. The chain hoist retains hook to floor value as it moves up or down along a sloped support. etc

Sorry, I'm only marginally knowledable in stage/event language and terms.

For wishes, it's good to describe how things might work.  How much of this should be controlled or adjustable in OIP? What fields are required in a dialog? It is probably a Command, but could possibly be a PIO resource or Truss style? Maybe it is some element that could be added to a Truss or Pipe via check box in the Truss dialog or edit screen? 

-B

• Like 1