Simon Allan

Adding Fixture Mode to custom lighting symbols

Hi All,

If I create a custom lighting symbol, is it possible to add fixture modes to it?

I see they are available for VW stock library fixtures and I know I can assign one of them once the custom symbol is created but I would like to add all the relevant modes for the fixture when I create it.

I just can't seem to find how you access this info, or create it myself, when creating your own symbols.

Thanks

simon 

Fixture modes are pulled from Vision.  This is not something that we suggest users attempt as it is quite complicated and needs to be exactly correct for it to work in Vision.  you can set up your fixture to auto-populate if Vision already has the fixture by filling in the fixture ID with Manufacturer and model name.  Note that the modes use full names not abbreviations, so for example you need to put in Source4, not S4.

We have been tossing around the idea of a fixture builder, but that is some time in the future, don't look for it any time soon.

Thanks for the update.

I guess the work around is to take the VW built in symbol (if it exists) and then replace the 2D and 3D geometry with my own.

The Fixture Modes will update the number of channels in the placed symbol, but otherwise don't do much for Spotlight.  They are mainly used when the symbol is exported to Vision, that is why they come from Vision.  They are not attached to our symbols, other than by the Fixture ID auto-populating the Mode field in the OIP.  For that to happen you just need to put the data needed in the Fixture ID field of the Light Info Record.