Move by point tool to ignore copy number in move mode

Art V

Question

It would be nice if the move by points tool would ignore the copy number when in move mode, or at least make it an option in the preferences to set it to ignore it (or not) as they way it currently works has most likely very little, if any, practical use.
I.e. it should only take the copy number into account if the retain original is also activated.

Edited by Art V

9 answers to this question

59 minutes ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@artvegasHi not sure what you mean in your question. You can just move one item and decide to leave the original or not or add the numbers of copies. I use this a lot and the video link below shows how and where i use it the most.

Yes that is how I use it too, but as @zoomermentioned (which I didn't know as I never ran into it given the way I use the tool) if the number of copies is more than 1 and retain object is off (i.e. tool is in move mode) then it will not only move the item but also generate additional copies with the same spacing as the move distance.

That is probably not what people would expect. As it behaves as multiple copy with retain object except that it does not retain the object.

In other words, the move by point mode in move mode only moves the object if the number of duplicates is 1 or 0 and retain object is off, or if number of duplicates is zero when retain objects is on. The mention of using the ctrl/cmd key to duplicate objects is putting people a bit on the wrong foot as anything larger than 1 for number of duplicates will always generate duplicates.

Hence the request to have the move by points mode in move mode to be actually only moving the object and not generate duplicates at all.

Or there should be a move only mode and a move mode that can generate duplicates depending on settings and the number in the number of duplicates box. As it is now it is not a pure move only tool.

[Art V replied as I typed this, but to reiterate...]

He's saying it would be nice to not have to remember to change the number of copies to "1" every time you want to use the tool to simply move something.

That is, it would be nice for there to be a preference that makes the "number of copies" only applicable when Retain Original is ON.

I agree with the request entirely. All too often I want to simply move something, but forget that it's set to 20 copies from some previous operation, then end up with a ton of unintentional objects floating off into space.

This change wouldn't make the tool do anything more or less than it already does, per se, but it would just reduce the number of clicks and headaches.

Edited by Andy Broomell

Or, make the copy number a one-time feature? That is, it would make x number of copies only once, the revert to 1. It's very very rare to have to make 20 copies of something and then immediately again 20 copies. Maybe there could be a switch to keep the copy number "on" for the copying enthusiasts.

As I have often remarked the tool works well for me. I use it often enough that I don’t usually forget to change prefs and copy count. My default is Retain original, 0 copies. But . . .

I would be ok with a new, limited, Move Only  mode or a dumb down check box in the prefs (reminds me of the No Rescale mode of Select tool). Or a whole new tool for only move.

My nonnegotiable demands if new tool:  Current tool keeps its full functionality, palette position and key command. New tool gets new position (a flyout box shared with the current tool?) and shortcut so I don’t have to alter my flow.

Or 

The cursor floating data bar gets a Copy field- sort of a final warning that copies will be made. 

Or

Maybe the problem is not the Copies, but rather the Retain Orig? Opening the tool pref dialog is cumbersome. Does the tool provide desired or better performance if the pref dialog & Retain/Select boxes are just eliminated as options from the move mode?

In this imaginary new version of the tool:

…Zero copies means only move. Stays selected. No prefs available.

…1 or more copy means retain orig AND create the copies. All are selected. It’s automatic Retain/Select. no box to check, no pref to open. Pay attention to value in the copies field. 

Orig would have to be deleted or deselected if not wanted, as separate action.

But then others will be whining for the prefs - round and round we go. 

Or

The Move and Move 3d commands get new “on drawing” option. Select objects.  Press shortcut keys to activate the Move or Move 3d Dialog. The usual xyz fields are presented plus a new On Drawing button with function similar to Scale By Points command.  Click the button, dialog dismisses, then click the start point on the drawing (smart cursor presents fields for numeric move if desired), click the end point. 

Which reminds me. Do we need both 2d and 3d Move commands? Can’t we just ignore the z value for 2d moves? Sorry. Side issue. 

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Improved demands
11 hours ago, Art V said:

It would be nice if the move by points tool would ignore the copy number when in move mode, or at least make it an option in the preferences to set it to ignore it (or not) as they way it currently works has most likely very little, if any, practical use.
I.e. it should only take the copy number into account if the retain original is also activated.

Hello Art V

i add a specific command you can find on the UI settings. In italian language it's "SPOSTA E DUPLICA", maybe "move and copy" i think.. (i send you an image). It works very quick, but you can only move an object or duplicate it (more click you do, more copy you have, like the terribly "autocad style" ;-) )

I put it in the standard palette. in some case could be useful.

Z

Cattura.thumb.JPG.2a3007f915f71561924361195b6a375a.JPG

I don't find that Tool or its Icon.

I bet it is special for Italian Localization.

But in Bricscad I got back my separate Move and Copy Tools.

Just like it was in Microstation.

When picking the Move Tool there is no more need to look up at the top of the monitor

to check if you are in correct retain mode. And if copying it does simply one or more copies.

And it doesn't need a new origin for each further copy.

(Like spreading some tree Symbols over your property)

And I am happy with it and couldn't wish for more .... until .... I looked closer.

If you press the "R" for repeat mode,

enter your distance and pull the cursor further over the 1st copy distance

along your whole building, will get as many copies by distance as you need.

Without even previously counting the number of copies you may need.

(I think Shape does it by default that way)

18 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

That is, it would be nice for there to be a preference that makes the "number of copies" only applicable when Retain Original is ON.

This might be the best option to solve it in an easy way.

Especially when being zoomed in having a number of copies larger than 1 could cause some unwanted surprises when moving and object from one end to the other end of the current view Then only when zooming out you'll find the duplicates or wonder where the object went to if retain original is off until you zoom out and see the duplicates.

18 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

This change wouldn't make the tool do anything more or less than it already does, per se, but it would just reduce the number of clicks and headaches.

Right, even though it doesn't happen often I do get the unintentional duplicate from time to time and it just takes some undo steps and start over again to fix that. So reducing the number of clicks would be nice.

9 hours ago, Zeno said:

Hello Art V

i add a specific command you can find on the UI settings. In italian language it's "SPOSTA E DUPLICA", maybe "move and copy" i think.. (i send you an image). It works very quick, but you can only move an object or duplicate it (more click you do, more copy you have, like the terribly "autocad style" ;-) )

I put it in the standard palette. in some case could be useful.

Z

Cattura.thumb.JPG.2a3007f915f71561924361195b6a375a.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion. Like Zoomer I cannot find it in the tools for customizing the workspace, it's probably something added by the Italian distributor. Another reason to have such tools shared across the various language versions of VW.