Need seamless texture

HEengineering

Question

Ive created a texture from and image to use in a camera match simulation..  The texture is pretty close to what I need.  However Im no expert with how to make textures seamless.  Anyone here have a quick run down on how to do one in PS6 or some suggestions.

We really have found great use in this feature.  The textures sometimes can be difficult to create an exact match tho.  

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 9.28.58 AM.png

14 answers to this question

I currently have no example but you can find lots of Video Tutorials on YouTube

on how to create seamless Textures.

There are very easy solutions, some are more sophisticated.

But one Problem persists.

It is easy to avoid the seams when tiling. But every noticeable detail in the texture

that makes it interesting, will expose the texture being tiled at the end anyway.

So it is important to look for textures large enough in size and resolution that

you can reduce actual tiling at a minimum, say 1.5x per Wall.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When using an Image as the base for a texture, seamless is very, very difficult unless you have a nearly perfect source image, or better photoshop skills than I.

However, for Bricks, there is a built in shader that can handle this under the Color shader. Once you select Brick, click Edit and then you can either manually color the bricks and gaps between them, or you can even use an image (usually of a single brick or a bit of mortar between bricks) just for that portion which can usually prevent the pattern from appearing like you see when just using an image based texture. 

The Contrast value will let you control how different the bricks appear in color relative to each other, with 0% forcing all the bricks to look identical and 100% I believe letting the bricks vary all the way between the two color options selected.

A brief overview of it here:

It works best for Images/Materials that hav not much variation.

Like an equally lit photo of e.g. gray pebbles.

As soon as you have some black pebbles in, that make it interesting,

you will notice tiling by the same repetition of the dark pebbnles,

although you perfectly stamped the image borders of the gray pebbles

for tiling.

On the other hand, you can take a small 100% tillable brick image without

any variation of only 5x5 rows and columns. You will not notice any tiling

but it is boring and looks like computer generated.

But in real life there is always variation.

If that is important you can take a photo of a real Wall larger than your

Walls, at a resolution high enough to fit your final images scale.

(Or search for one in the internet)

Or you can take 1 or more smaller textures with variety and paint or

clone stamp it in PS to create such a larger texture.

Thanks for the pointers guys.  Looks like I have some work to do. @ Jimw I did not know about the brick shader! I will experiment with this in the future.  Thus far I was able to get away with creating a texture from an image and adjusting a little in PS.  Sometimes this is good enough. I need to hone the craft a little better.

I really try to stay away from going into PS6 since camera match.  

Edited by HEengineering

Brick Shader isn't bad either

(Dont forget to ad the grout width to the overall width if you want it in scale ;) )

Another option is to save or render a large textured plane in VW in suitable resolution.

Maybe with Brick Shader or a boring but seamless small brick texture.

That may be easier in PS to either stamp clone against last tiling or adding some

nice variation.

I worked with some 3D artists in the past that always used the worst tiling textures,

rendered them out in 3DSMax and sprayed some noisy dirt in PS over it.

That totally distracted from noticeable tiling and looked great.

Edited by zoomer

2 minor issues I have run into several times using camera match.  One is using the eye dropper tool.  Once I select the color I loose my cursor.  Only way to get it back is to minimize the window and then bring it back.  Happens every time I select the eye dropper tool within the attributes color pallet??

Also Im not getting this message.  I have had this happen a few times after trying to rework the model or texture prior to updating the VP.  Then when trying to draw a mask in annotations it gives me an error.

I think these both maybe bugs. File attached.

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 1.08.33 PM.png

Model_View_1.vwx

@HEengineeringHi with our image at original post I use photos os bricks or tile to do my textures as you get what is on the project (House) you are working on.

Photoshop is the answer and you just have to paint (Clone ) the opposite sides of the image to match. Only have joint on top and right and have bricks matching on opposite sides.

Will do a quick video tomorrow to show the process.

Attached image shows the final result from a house test these images, notice the cloned brich either side for the half bricks and the colour and tone of each side must be the same otherwise you get the shade different.

Need to set image in VW by dragging the scale bar to a brick or tile size.

HTH

HP Roof Tiles 0.png

HP Bricks 0.png

20 hours ago, HEengineering said:

2 minor issues I have run into several times using camera match.  One is using the eye dropper tool.  Once I select the color I loose my cursor.  Only way to get it back is to minimize the window and then bring it back.  Happens every time I select the eye dropper tool within the attributes color pallet??

Also Im not getting this message.  I have had this happen a few times after trying to rework the model or texture prior to updating the VP.  Then when trying to draw a mask in annotations it gives me an error.

I think these both maybe bugs. File attached.

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 1.08.33 PM.png

Model_View_1.vwx

I downloaded the file and here's what I see:

1. I cannot reproduce the cursor disappearing issue.

2. I do not see a Camera Match object in the viewport's annotation space. The mask object requires the Camera Match object in order to understand what background image to use for the masking. Could you have accidentally deleted the Camera Match object?

I did have a camera match object in the file.  When you update it appears.  However I cannot adjust any of the settings of the camera match object. Almost as if it's there but corrupt.

The cursor missing may be due to being on OSX 10.11.6 and using VW 17?  I can do a quick screen capture and send it over if you would like. Just let me know.

Sou you can select the Camera Match object in the viewport's annotations and see the parameters in the Object Info palette (but cannot edit them)?

Does Camera Match work correctly in other files?

I tested the cursor issue on OS X 10.11.6 with VW 2017 SP4. If you're on the same version, I'm not sure what the cause would be. Try changing the Navigation Graphics setting (in the Display tab of the Vectorworks Preferences dialog) to see if that helps.