Symbol in wall retaining orientation.

Boh

Thanks for the reply however the video doesn't really respond to the question. The video was about use of the door/window tools and creating them and inserting them in walls in the correct orientation as you go. It didn't discuss controlling the orientation of a door/window that you already have in your drawing and you want to insert it into a wall.

Mostly I create new doors and windows by duplicating already existing ones and then moving them into the correct wall. I don't use the door/window tools much once I have some of the correctly set and formatted doors/windows already in the drawing.

Perhaps this is not the best workflow as having to keep flipping doors and windows around can be time consuming.

15 hours ago, Boh said:

Perhaps this is not the best workflow

I think I would agree. I obviously don't know the detail of your work and hence the workflow you've adopted, but it seems to me that you've chosen to move away from one of the fastest ways to drop doors and windows into a layout.

Try using the door tool which will allow the 'flip' as a second action - This linked action is so much faster than the drag of clicking in the OIP (which was obviously the reason for your OP)

Skipping between door types certainly lengthens the process - this may have been the reason you felt the tool was a slow option and you developed the 'duplicate and paste' method. 

I suggest that you choose doors one at a time and then move around the layout to populate all instances. (There will always be some missed, but to get the bulk onto the layout really helps).

All the best.

I prefer to use the Windoor tool which can produce either windows and doors also in combination units.  (i understand it is only available in Australasia).

Typically I have many different types, sizes or styles of windows/doors in one project with multiple duplicates or similar instances of each type throughout the file. Using the tool each time to create a new window/door seems slower to me as you either have to update the default settings of the tool each time you create a window/door or as Pat mentioned use the eyedropper tool once the unit is created.

Also when designing or revising drawings you are working more often than not with existing windows and doors and so are always taking them out and  reinserting back into walls.

My method of duplicating an extg window/door and flipping it is pretty quick and ensures the exact same style of door/window is recreated. The only hassle is having to flip the door around. I think it would be a good development for VW to address this little issue in future releases.

For now I think a good work around for me would be to create symbols of each common type of door/window in the file. When you "make active" the symbol in the resource manager it then gives you the option of selecting the orientation when you insert it. (Note that just dragging the symbol from the resource manager does not give the orientation selection options).

I  need to investigate window/door styles more as I imagine this will help speed things up too. At the moment I don't have a library of door/window styles and tend to create a new one for each project. 

Edited by Boh

You can also create a Door or Window (or a WinDoor) the way you want it and then make a symbol of it. If you click the "Convert to PIO" button in the symbol dialog box it will become a "Red" symbol with the name in red text. That way you can save a certain object with all the settings you want as a resource to share in the current or other files, but still have all of the objects in the drawing as PIOs for easy modification.

I don't know how this will interact with your flipping of doors, but I think you should get the flip options before you do the second click.

Thanks Pat. Yes I've tested this approach out and the flip options are available as a second click when you make the symbol active in the resource browser. I think that is the direction I'm heading along with developing a library of door & window styles.

This is fine for new doors/window but does not address the issue when editing/revising an existing drawing. Perhaps a wishlist item could be VW providing that automatic second click orientation option even when just dragging existing objects into walls.

21 hours ago, Boh said:

Thanks Pat. Yes I've tested this approach out and the flip options are available as a second click when you make the symbol active in the resource browser. I think that is the direction I'm heading along with developing a library of door & window styles.

This is fine for new doors/window but does not address the issue when editing/revising an existing drawing. Perhaps a wishlist item could be VW providing that automatic second click orientation option even when just dragging existing objects into walls.

Yes, please. +1