tree symbol problem

Stephanie Desmeules

Question

I'm trying to duplicate a tree symbol and give it another name and characteristics  but the tree symbol changes for one that I didn't choose (always the same blue one). I tried with several different trees and symbols... the same blue symbol comes back... This document was started weeks ago and worked well... only today did it start acting weird...

I urne off my computer... but it didn't work... any idea as to what I could try?

you can see in the image, the blue symbol at the top right...

5a6785434a17a_ScreenShot2018-01-23at1_55_37PM.thumb.png.30761fdba4bea95dc04a587044ac9d0a.png

8 answers to this question

A SYMBOL can only have one specific definition. There is no way to change only one symbol without changing all other instances of that symbol (with one exception, which is a "scaled symbol"; same exact definition; different size). In order to do what (I think) you want to do, go to the Resource Browser and Duplicate the Symbol (and name it as you like), then modify the new Symbol as you wish. 

Another method which *might* work for limited purposes (eg: only one or two are needed) is to select the instance of the Symbol to be modified and Convert to Group. You will then be able to enter and edit the Group (but you will lose any parametric abilities, and although you can make a duplicate of the Group, it will not be a Symbol)

I might not be clear enough!! I'm sorry, I'll try to be more concise!

This is what I want to do: I duplicate a tree (let say the Plant Basic Evergreen tree 03) and then I give the latin names etc that I want... When I'm done changing all the settings and press  OK, and it usually works, the plant with the right plant symbol is ready to be placed on my design. 

But my problem is that right now, when I press OK, it automatically changes the Plant Basic Evergreen tree 03 to a Grass 02 symbol... (I don't know why this one!!)...

So I don't want to change a symbol as much as get the right symbol for the plant I chose!

Hi Stephanie, Sorry I didn't understand your original question! I am not super savvy with the Plant Placement tool. Hopefully someone who is can jump in?? One suggestion that may or may not help: Select the Plant, then in the Object Info Palette click on Plant Settings, you should be able to choose from the Plants in your current document (or others from default or other content).