Listing Loci for use as setting out points

I am producing a landscape setting out drawing where I need to provide coordinates (northings and eastings) for locating various elements.  I am using loci points to generate the coordinates, but I then have the tedious task of individually cutting and pasting from the object info palette into text boxes on the drawing.  Each time I have to click back onto the loci to get its coordinate.  Is there a way to speed this up?  Can I get a list of the loci points on the drawing or can I export them to a file or spreadsheet?

Here's a quick example of one way to label coordinates on a drawing. It uses a record field attached to a symbol. The record field is the name or label for the point which is edited on the Data tab of the OIP. Its linked to the text object in the symbol so the name is displayed. The spreadsheet finds instances of the symbol, gathers their names and associated coordinates. Its pretty basic but can easily be customized. Right click on the spreadsheet and choose recalculate to update it. It has the added advantage that you can edit the names in the spreadsheet and they will update on the drawing.

You could do the same just by naming loci but then your don't have auto-generated labels in the drawing.

Kevin

5a6651384f103_ScreenShot2018-01-22at1_01_18PM.thumb.png.263ca50dd2b51f8606a97cbd9d91a19a.png

Coordinate Example.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Added screen shot

Stake objects (Site Planning Tool Set) are another option. With coordinates set to EN or NE the object automatically reports the Northing and Easting coordinates as a text label on the drawing  in Top Plan view. Stakes can also be named and referenced in a worksheet similar to the Loci in Kevin's example.

-B

Stakes.png

2 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Stake objects (Site Planning Tool Set) are another option. With coordinates set to EN or NE the object automatically reports the Northing and Easting coordinates as a text label on the drawing  in Top Plan view. Stakes can also be named and referenced in a worksheet similar to the Loci in Kevin's example.

-B

I wondered about Stake Objects. They have lots of useful options. For whatever reason though, you can't display the ID and/or Description parameters along with Coodinate Points which I think would be immensely useful.

(With some cross discipline input the Stake Object could be revamped into a really good universal marker tool.)

Kevin

The stake object does exactly what I want - except ....  not sure I can get it to show exactly what i want. 

I want the stake object to show an identifier (e.g A), and this preferably to be automatically assigned - I can set this in the tools dialogue.  However, I need to then create a report which sets the identifier against the coordinate (northing and easting) and I can't find a way to do this.  I don't really have the space on the drawing to show the coordinates for each stake and would be much easier to show the identifier only. 

I think this is what Kevin is saying above - does anyone know a way around this?  All it needs is more elements for selection in the report - the info is there,  just getting to it is the problem!

@Helen Palmer

21 hours ago, Helen Palmer said:

All it needs is more elements for selection in the report - the info is there,  just getting to it is the problem!

Yes, confounding to me that the records for stake include z Value and many other things but, apparently, not the xy or their Northing Easting equivalents.

A close workaround is the x and y coordinate items in the Function list, instead of the Record list. My Row 1 is spreadsheet text.  My Coordinate X and Y columns could be relabeled Easting and Northing. Everyone using the worksheet would have to agree that negative values mean the opposite direction.  eg x= -3.4 means W3.4    y= -4.5 means S4.5. There may be a way to show neg values as S or W by calling the natural number rather than the integer value and a new column for the NSEW designation calculated for each stake by some "if x coordinate is less than zero, then S" etc.  Others will have to provide that knowledge. Pat S? MichaelK?

If there is Northing/Easting in the Records>Stake or Records>Stake Record lists, will one of the worksheet geniuses please point it out! Pat S? MichaelK?

Anyway, HTH

-B

Stakes ID xyz.png

Stake Worksheet.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

There does not appear to be any extra information hiding in the stake object.

Even is you set the display to show as NE or EN, it appears the data is not stored but calculated as needed from the XY position.

You can get your display to be what you want with a combination of the IF and Concat functions. Something like:

If(CoordinateX<0,Concat('W',Value(CoordinateX)),Concat('E',Value(CoordinateX)))

Not tested by provided as a basic example.  

Caveat. If you do this, then you won't be able to manually change the value in the worksheet and have it modify the object in the drawing.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:19 AM, Benson Shaw said:

@Helen Palmer

Yes, confounding to me that the records for stake include z Value and many other things but, apparently, not the xy or their Northing Easting equivalents.

A close workaround is the x and y coordinate items in the Function list, instead of the Record list. My Row 1 is spreadsheet text.  My Coordinate X and Y columns could be relabeled Easting and Northing. Everyone using the worksheet would have to agree that negative values mean the opposite direction.  eg x= -3.4 means W3.4    y= -4.5 means S4.5. There may be a way to show neg values as S or W by calling the natural number rather than the integer value and a new column for the NSEW designation calculated for each stake by some "if x coordinate is less than zero, then S" etc.  Others will have to provide that knowledge. Pat S? MichaelK?

If there is Northing/Easting in the Records>Stake or Records>Stake Record lists, will one of the worksheet geniuses please point it out! Pat S? MichaelK?

Anyway, HTH

-B

Stakes ID xyz.png

Stake Worksheet.png

Could you post your file, as my question on the forum i'm having trouble with my coordinates. 

@dominij

11 hours ago, dominijk said:

To clarfiy what you did - you added a stake then went to report function then added a column in the report using =xcoordinate?

Almost. I added a bunch of stakes, then, instead of Create Report, I added a blank worksheet from the Resource Manager.  I adjusted the blank column and row layout with the widget at lower right hand corner of the Worksheet fields (the working version, not the on drawing version). Then used the dropdowns as shown in the previous posts to define database row criteria and choose what each column would report. The xy coordinates are in the Function list (could apply to any type of object) rather than from records specific to the stake objects. 

v2018 File attached.

Start with View 1 in the Saved View list.  View 2 investigates some 3d and z value processes.

Post back until you get your questions answered!

-B

Stakes.vwx