Navigation Saved Views

Grethe Connerth

Question

Hi there VW lovers!

when clicking a Saved View in 'NAVIGATION - SAVED VIEWS' - I would love to see that it is highlighted in bold and/or has a 'tick' to it - like for example in "NAVIGATION - DESIGN LAYERS'.

So when I switch between the toggles back to 'NAVIGATION - SAVED VIEWS' - leaving me not to guess which Saved View I clicked before.

That should  be an easy one to solve? And it would be very handy.

Cheers,

Grethe

Design Layer with Tick.png

Saved Views has no Tick.png

7 answers to this question

I would venture to guess that the reason this isn't already the case is that you're never really "in" a Saved View. It is merely a script that changes class & layer visibility, pan & zoom etc. Once the script executes, the Saved View is no longer relevant until you decide to again run it.

I agree that it might be handy to have some way of knowing which Saved View was most recently used... but it'd have to be very clear that it is not the "active" Saved View, since that's not how they work. So checkmarks would be a no-no, though I'm not sure what to suggest alternatively which wouldn't also give the wrong idea about how Saved Views work.

Good morning Andy & Zoomer,

thank you for commenting and your feedback on my post and taking it into consideration.

I guess for me - if it were to work - it'll be a great way to remember which Saved View I was in. This as at times I am flying quickly across the Navigation tabs and also across multiple drawing files, e.g. in order to compare lets say various Portfolio Booklet file pages. 

I wouldn't mind if any Class Settings changed whilst I am working along.

Highlighting the active Saved View for example in 'BOLD' only would be suffice, this if the checkmarks are a no-no.

Cheers from Down Under Melbourne,

Grethe

I have different types of "saved views"

Some of them change the 3d viewpoint, and leave everything else unaltered.

Some of them leave the 3d viewpoint unaltered, but switch certain classes on or off

Some might change the projection and layer visibility and class visibility and pan/zoom settings

So this is where the idea of an "active" saved view is problematic, as already mentioned above. It can only be "most recently applied" saved view.

Possibly the name "saved view" is a bit problematic in itself, because it doesn't quite convey what they are or what they can do. it took me a while to get my head around the fact that I could use them like I describe above - but starting using them like that has certainly enhanced my VW experience.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Saved Views need a rework for quite a few reasons, all of the above included. For instance, when we initially included them in Multiple Drawing Views, there were a few shortfalls, like an inability to save a "set" of saved views for a "set" of windows, or to designate specific saved views to always appear in a certain view pane.

I don't think significant changes are planned for the immediate next version, but I plan to get together a lot of these types of problem spots and have a larger discussion on them.