VW 2018 Crashing Before Fully Starting

pfalvi
Message added by PVA - Admin

Question

When I doubleclick the shortcut to open VW 2018, it seems to load right up until the point I would use it, and then crashes and I receive the attached error. It does show up with my serial number and looks like it's going to open, but it doesn't work. 

It's even tried opening a file, giving me the file name in the tab on the upper left, but then crashes. The most recent one even showed me the font remapping window and waited, until I agreed to the remapping it was suggesting, then it quit.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Background: my other laptop broke so I just purchased a new one (HP Spectre x360 15, 2017 model, Windows 10), and tried to load everything on it. All files were opening on the old one yesterday. Same files on the new one, no luck. I just downloaded the newest release of VW2018. 

Capture.PNG

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It looks like this machine has both an integrated graphics card as well as one from Nvidia, the latter being the one we want to make sure Vectorworks is using.

First, close all other applications and update your graphics drivers, the link below should be the one you need:

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/129085

Then, reboot your machine entirely and the follow the steps in the article below to force your machine to use the dedicated graphics card for Vectorworks 2018:

Then try to launch Vectorworks, let me know the results.

I spoke too soon. I saw that it booted fully and showed me my workspace, and thought it worked.

I tried to open a file today, and it got as ar as opening the file then freezing and going black. Now I'm not sure what's wrong. Any thoughts, Jim? Or anyone else?