v2018 sp2 Extrude along path Nurbs vs. Poly

TimG

Question

so am I dreaming or was the 2018 "feature (?)" of leaving paths as their native object  taken away in SP2 to become NURBS again?

when I first started using 2018 when I was creating extrudes along path... the poly's I was using for the path would remain poly's when I went to edit the path later in the drawing process. I thought this was a new feature in 2018, as it was a wishlist item for me and way easier to stretch and modify the path as a ployline, compared to previous Vectorworks versions that converted every path into a NURB when it made the EAP.... I'm on SP2 now and noticed when I edit my EAP's now they are back to being NURBS rather than the poly lines I made to create the path.

I tested this on someone else machine using 2018 sp1 and she is able to see / edit the original polylines of the path when she edits the EAP. Was this a mistake or intentional... or is there a setting somewhere I can turn this back with?

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I believe this is how it played out:

1) a request was made for source geometry to be left as exactly what it was and not always converted to another geometry type when used as a path for EAPs
2) In 2018, SOME situations and types of geometry (I do not know which) are now left alone and not converted.
3) Since it was not ALL geometry types, the wish was not marked as Implemented.

Hopefully this will eventually be the case, but I do not know the status of it.

welp... my settings must have messed something up... I tested with another use on SP1 as mentioned previously, and then upgraded her to SP2 thinking that was the culprit but she still sees the source geometry when she uses a rectangle or poly line... me however see both instances converted to a NURB...  wonder if a re-install would fix it or if its a preference thing?

Multipile resets and its not working as expected with SP2. It is working with reinstall of original 2018 installed SP0. It breaks when I install SP2. For now I’m on SP0 and hope this issue is fixed in a patch or something. I have the only Mac up and running in my office, the other user on 2018 is on windows with SP2 and it works. Exactly what I did on my machine is as follows below:

• preferences reset didn't work and in-fact launch freezes and won’t get past “checking activation” on the program startup splash screen…  
  • so I was forced to re-install 2018 (SP0) and that launched fine and EAP original geometry worked as expected, changed my user folder location and added my workgroup folder location on a shared network drive, closed and re-opened… and everything still worked.
  • Then I updated to SP2 and it broke again (which is weird as another user has SP2 , although on windows, and it works as expected for her).
  • So I reset preferences again as you point out to do in your article… after new launch I get the following popup “error loading vision library!” And then the same thing as previous reset where it gets stuck on “checking activation”
  • Then I re-installed base (SP0) again and it works as expected… didn’t update any workgroup folders or anything and  reinstalled SP2 again and on first launch get an error about one of the preferences couldn’t be found and would be reset to default (even though technically they should already be default from SP0 install?).. didn't work, reinstalled SP0 and thats where I am currently at
Edited by TimG