Kaare Baekgaard

Rendering scene crash VW and my Imac

Question

I am trying to render a scene with a somewhat heavy geometry. Something makes it crash – and not only VW but my Imac. It freezes and I have to restart.

I have tried to remove elements from the scene, to purge objects and to reduce the complexity of some textures, but it stil crashes.

I use 2018 SP1 to avoid the OIP bug, that I got more frequently with SP2.

Any chance, you can take a look at the file?

7 answers to this question

If you have VW2016 still at your disposal, did you try rendering with VW2016? I have a fairly heavy model that renders within minutes in VW2016 and in VW2018 it is still below 30% after half an hour.

If you want I could give it a try, but I am on Windows so if the issue that causes the crash happens to be Mac specific then it may not be of much help.

On 13/1/2018 at 7:29 PM, Art V said:

If you have VW2016 still at your disposal, did you try rendering with VW2016? I have a fairly heavy model that renders within minutes in VW2016 and in VW2018 it is still below 30% after half an hour.

If you want I could give it a try, but I am on Windows so if the issue that causes the crash happens to be Mac specific then it may not be of much help.

Thanks, Art V – I will try to get someone at VW to look at it first – there may be a confidentiality issue, if I ask you to do it.

Not much response from VW employees...

Just as well, I found the culprit myself.

It was an image prop, where I had flipped the content of the image and the mask the from within the VectorWorks texture dialogue.

I am surprised, that this could crash not just the app, but the entire computer.

So don't do that.

7 hours ago, Kaare Baekgaard said:

Thanks, Art V – I will try to get someone at VW to look at it first – there may be a confidentiality issue, if I ask you to do it.

Just now, Kaare Baekgaard said:

Not much response from VW employees...

Apologies I didn't see this, was there no response from technical support?

I'm having issues too with my elevations, they are hidden line so not heavy rendered but they seem to be causing my VWs and Mac to freeze! Or sometimes crashing t! 

I was having issues with the same file being really slow too, its only 51MB so small in comparison to others.

Anyone abatable to take a look at the file? Please bear in mind its likely to crash your computer! 

27 minutes ago, nikihoops said:

I'm having issues too with my elevations, they are hidden line so not heavy rendered but they seem to be causing my VWs and Mac to freeze! Or sometimes crashing t! 

I was having issues with the same file being really slow too, its only 51MB so small in comparison to others.

Anyone abatable to take a look at the file? Please bear in mind its likely to crash your computer! 

Sure thing, post here or send it to me in a message.