Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

List Browser comprehensive example

_c_

Hello,

for those interested, I updated Orso's Test script for List Browsers which was by now really completely obsolete: here. It's purpose is to see what happens changing things.

This is a more or less comprehensive script covering most list browser aspects and is connected with the h*u*g*e List Browser article on Vectorlab, which was also rather obsolete. I gave it a fast refresh now but it still needs work.

If you copy that script, please revisit the page in a while, because it might have changed.

Ciao

A screenshot of the List Browser test script:

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 07.31.07.png

Edited by _c_
new img
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Sam Jones said:

I love this.  This kind of documentation can lead to so many more great tools.  I didn't know about the original article.  How can I store a pointer to this article on my computer?

See that funny three dot thing next to the IP address above?  Hover on it and it say Share This Post. Click on it and you can copy the direct URL to the post and/or share it via the buttons at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Sam Jones said:

Wonderful, except...

I don't see the 3 dot thing.   In fact, I don't see an IP address

Ciao Sam,

do you want to link to this thread or to the original LB article on Vectorlab? That would be better, that's the one I will maintain:

http://www.vectorlab.info/index.php?title=List_Browsers

Ooops... edited the link

Edited by _c_

Speaking about LBs, the funny thing is that it seems that now the dichotomy edit/item display type is gone: whatever you edit, the other one will match. It could be one of these things that went on legacy and has been fixed in this fashion to preserve our scripts. Thank you!

Edited by _c_

Ciao Atta, 

Yes, of course the link to the article is what I want.  It really is a wonderful article, 3 actually.  I have been ignorantly copying examples sent to me and modifying them on a trial and error basis.  If only somebody at VW could attempt something like this for event aware PIOs.  

We have one, it was written by Charles Chandler (Charles, where are you?!?):

http://www.vectorlab.info/index.php?title=Events

Edit: Vectorlab is now closed, I transferred Charles' article on the Developer wiki:

https://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/VS:Object_Events

you should complement it with the articles of Vlado on Dev:

http://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/Category:VectorScript

Edited by _c_
Add new link on dev
  • 2 years later...

Hello there!

I am doing my damnedest to write a List Browser but the documentation available on the developer.vectorworks.net for List Browsers is borderline non-existent.  The example that the OP posted above looks like it would answer all of my questions, but vectorlab looks to have closed down and the WayBackMachine didn't snag snapshots of the List Browser articles.  Is there any chance that someone saved the scripting example and would be willing to share?

I was able to find the .webarchive backup files of the Vectorlab articles on List Browsers, which did not include the example script above but answered all of my other questions.

I ran into a bug where I was not able to populate a solid rectangle cell outside of the SetupDialogC case (my plugin includes an "Add Row" button, which opens a dialog box to set options for the row, and executes the instructions for the new row after pressing 'OK').  All other cells would properly update, but I could not get the solid rectangle to show up (but could affect existing rows with the SetLBItemFillForeColor function).  The only way I was able to get around this was to have the Add dialog box update the arrays that the List Browser used to initially populate, then use a GOTO command to a label in the SetupDialogC at the top of the List Browser InsertLBItem code to repopulate the existing List Browser window.

I understand that this isn't exactly Nemetschek's highest priority, but is there any way we could get a proper set of documentation for List Browsers and Object Events?  Both sorely lack examples in the Function Reference and some of the Object Event functions even lacking descriptions.  These both provide ways of making incredibly powerful plug-ins, but their implementation can be fairly obtuse and it's a shame that the only useful documentation is on a now-defunct website.