Revit Import Not Working

Sky
Message added by PVA - Admin

Bug filed as VB-147455

Question

I do a lot of restaurant work and importing Revit files of kitchen equipment in VW2017 has been really helpful. When I import that same files into VW2018, I get very poor results. Sometimes I get part of the model, or I get random objects and sometimes I get nothing. I've never gotten it to work.

I tried attaching a file but this forum doesn't accept RFA file types. So this is a webpage where you could download an example of an underbar refrigerator: http://truefoodservice.kclcad.com/Mobile/?search=TBB-24-60G-S-HC-LD.

3 hours ago, jshowers said:

I am trying to import my first revit file and it is crashing VW on both Mac and Windows. 61 MB file, every combination of import settings results in total crash, VW quits.

I find VW2017 was that only version that properly imported Revit files. If you have access to that, import there, save as VWX and then open up in VW2019.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jshowers said:

I am trying to import my first revit file and it is crashing VW on both Mac and Windows. 61 MB file, every combination of import settings results in total crash, VW quits.

RVT 61MB may be very large in VW units.

I was able to import up to 170 MB RVT files.

But AFAIK that needed 16 hours of frozen VW or so.

It needed lots of RAM (I have 24 GB only) and the result was 1.7 TB VW file.

Import will explode all Line Styles into separate 3D Polygon pieces.

• Administrator
On 4/25/2019 at 5:53 PM, jshowers said:

am trying to import my first revit file and it is crashing VW on both Mac and Windows. 61 MB file, every combination of import settings results in total crash, VW quits.

@jshowers any chance that you can send us the .rvt file for testing?

On 4/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, JuanP said:

@jshowers any chance that you can send us the .rvt file for testing?

Hello Juan,

I don't know if our client would approve of us sharing their clients file, I will check and get back to you Juan! Sorry for the delay, this project has been on the back burner the last two weeks or so!

• Like 1
  • Administrator
On 8/17/2019 at 8:49 PM, Sky said:

Revit import in 2019 still not working! 

We have multiple users not only importing Revit successfully but also IFC files. If there is an issue with your RVT file, if you can make it available to me, I'll be happy to take a look at it and report it to our developer team. thanks 

@JuanP That was interesting to hear. I had been unsuccessful at importing almost any kitchen equipment manufacturer Revit models.

So I did some tests to see if I was doing something wrong and this is what I found:

1. If I import as 2D and 3D Views, there would be nothing there. 

2. If I import as 3D Model View, it worked.

3. If I import as a Revit (Batch), there would be nothing there. 

At least I know that I don't have to rely on 2017 now, especially since Mac is going 64-bit only soon.

It would be nice to have the 2D and 3D drawing - so hopefully someone can figure this out.

I've included 3 files so you can text this for yourself.

Thanks!

Desco CPG-2:90 Plus.rfa

Door-Flush-Custom-Wine-Preservation-T24IW900SP.rfa

Vulcan V1FT36.rfa

Edited by Sky
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Sky,

Thank you for the files, this will help us to improve Revit Import.

14 hours ago, Sky said:

1. If I import as 2D and 3D Views, there would be nothing there. 

Actually there are sheet layers with 2D View drawings as you can see from the attached images:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Yes, we have some problem with importing 3D views together with 2D views which we are currently investigating, but as you write using 3D Model View is working - you can use this too.

15 hours ago, Sky said:

3. If I import as a Revit (Batch), there would be nothing there.

If you choose to use "Current file" as Destination, yes there would be nothing drawn on the design layer, but the imported objects are added as separate resources (textures, symbol definitions and so on):

image.png

if you choose "New files in folder" as Destination, for every revit file you will have .vwx file in the selected folder. Each .vwx file contains resources (textures, symbol definitions, and so on), and objects are created in the drawing. See the image of the created .vwx files:

image.png

I'm attaching a quick reference for using Import Revit (Batch):

image.png

Please, let me know if you have questions?

Best regards,

Vasko

• Like 2

@Vasil Kitanov This was helpful, thank you. 

When I import as 2D and 3D Views, I am able to go to the sheet and see the 2D drawing. It comes in as an Annotation to a blank design layer that doesn't exist. I thought I couldn't edit it, when it turns out that if I choose to edit Annotation, the drawing is there.

Lots of weird quirks, but it is good to know that I can make it work without 2017. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Sky,

Yes, we can confirm, that there are issues when these files are imported with option 2D and 3D. This is a know issue and engineers are working to fix it.

On 8/20/2019 at 2:53 PM, Vasil Kitanov said:

Yes, we have some problem with importing 3D views together with 2D views which we are currently investigating, but as you write using 3D Model View is working - you can use this too. 

Please, for the 3D graphics use the default import option 3D Model View.

Guest Alex Sagatov

@Tom Miller I just checked my 2019 SP5.3, and I am still seeing the base Revit Import Option. Not sure what happened to it on yours, but you should be able to add it back in through the workspace editor (Tools > Workspaces > Edit Current Workspace):

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 3.58.35 PM.png