Asymmetric Symbol Scaling Issues

Andy Broomell

Question

I figured I'd post a specific example of asymmetric symbol scaling going haywire, in case it's helpful to VW engineers as they work to improve this functionality. VW file is attached. I run into symbol scaling issues all the time, but this one seemed fairly repeatable/predictable.

I have a symbol containing only normal extrudes, which I'm reusing in a bunch of places at different sizes (a perfect time to use symbol scaling). When I use asymmetric scaling it gets wonky like in the screenshot. The only workaround I could figure out was to make the contents of the symbol Generic Solids:

5a580921847c9_ScreenShot2018-01-11at4_29_42PM.thumb.png.2745abe6218ea8a748a832540027ee17.png

SymbolScalingKnob.vwx

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I figured I'd post a specific example of asymmetric symbol scaling going haywire, in case it's helpful to VW engineers as they work to improve this functionality. VW file is attached. I run into symbol scaling issues all the time, but this one seemed fairly repeatable/predictable.

I have a symbol containing only normal extrudes, which I'm reusing in a bunch of places at different sizes (a perfect time to use symbol scaling). When I use asymmetric scaling it gets wonky like in the screenshot. The only workaround I could figure out was to make the contents of the symbol Generic Solids:

5a580921847c9_ScreenShot2018-01-11at4_29_42PM.thumb.png.2745abe6218ea8a748a832540027ee17.png

SymbolScalingKnob.vwx

Interesting. This happens to me all the time but I've never seen an example only composed of extrudes. I though that I would find the main knob geometry was a sweep when I opened your file. Symbol scaling, especially asymmetric scaling, is one of my biggest frustrations with VW. It is 0.5 beta feature and has been for many versions. I personally don't believe the asymmetrical scaling was ever beta tested beyond 2d symbols. Normally I see the issue with NURBS surfaces or mixing primitives (eg. spheres/cones) with extrudes. I recently created an example file because I was going to wishlist an improvement (I have made so many bug submissions on this issue). Its interesting that the issues almost always appear when the x and y values are the same and the z value is different. In your file if you set x, y and z all to different scale factors it works fine.

Here's my example, from left to right - no scaling, symmetric scaling, asymmetric scaling.

5a582c33bd8f0_ScreenShot2018-01-11at7_24_39PM.thumb.png.3db75fcd216617f5841e5e7afa363339.png

I really do hope its on someone's list of improvements somewhere. I use scaled 3d symbols all the time.

Kevin

An idea - Did the extrude get moved from position in which it was created?  Some objects seem to remember their infancy and revert during scale and some other edit operations.  That should not happen, in my opinion, but your workaround is good until you need to redraw that extrude.  Conversion to generic solid seems to strip that memory.

-B

1 hour ago, Benson Shaw said:

An idea - Did the extrude get moved from position in which it was created?  Some objects seem to remember their infancy and revert during scale and some other edit operations.  That should not happen, in my opinion, but your workaround is good until you need to redraw that extrude.  Conversion to generic solid seems to strip that memory.

-B

I had wondered the same thing about Andy's example because 3 pieces were extruded upward and one was extruded forward. I tried rebuilding it from scratch with all the pieces extruding upward and it still exhibited the same issue.

Kevin

I wouldn't wonder about Extrudes having problems after being repositioned or rotated,

as I experience this all the time with my special Extrudes with more than one 2D element inside,

even for simple cut and paste operations. (not before VW 2017 ?)

So I don't trust the collaboration between different standard and internal Coordinate Systems

with Screen Plane and other Planes in general :)

But Kevin's table example reminds of what many of my DWG imports look like when imported

at a wrong scale.

Edited by zoomer