Hardscape rendering white in opengl

skeyshubber

Question

Hi all,

I am new to VW and navigating my way through a landscape plan.  I have a site model, slightly sloping but level where the house is and where the hardscape elements will be. 

Question #1  I have drawn my hardscape with polylines and used the hardscape tool to create the pathways and patios surrounding the house.  I have the harscape 3D type as pad modifier, top of slab with a 3" thickness.  In top/plan the joint pattern tole (cambridge) and the main texture (stone limestone) are visible but when I spin to a ISO view and render to Open GL the hardscape turns to white.  

Question #2: in my sloping site I am attempting to indicate existing vegetation that begins at the bottom of the slope and ends at the foundation level of the house. I have placed a landscape area illustrating in top/plan as a green space and 3D plants in a rendered Open GL. The are located at a 0 Z axis.  Is there any way to manipulate the 3D plants to shape against the slope?  Currently I have them oversized so the plants closer to the house (top of the slope) are still visible.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Stephanie

Edited by skeyshubber

3 answers to this question

@skeyshubberjust some ideas:

Question 1 (Hardscape renders white).

•Make sure the hardscape object has color fill. Check your OGL render options to make sure the Use Textures box is ticked.  This can be in the View •Menu>Rendering>OpenGL Options.  Or there are other places, eg the Viewport render setting and the Render tab of the view bar at top of window.

There could be other reasons, too.  Post a simple example file of this and forum will take a look.

Question 2 (put plants on the slope).

Site models have a Send to Surface command for this purpose.  Select the plant objects then invoke the Send to Surface command.

This command is located differently in different Vectorworks Modules

Designer and Architect modules -  AEC menu>Terrain>Send to Surface.

Landmark module - Landmark menu>Send to Surface

Fundamentals and Spotlight modules - not included.

-B

More things to try:

•  Select the site model and UPDATE! Then render again.

•  Is the hardscape object assigned to a class with the texture you want? Open the class definition assigned to the hardscape object (eg select the class of the hardscape object from the list in the Navigation palette Class tab).  Open the Texture tab. Tick the Use at Creation box.  Assign correct texture in the Object and Components area. Close out the dialogs, Update the Site Model, Render again.

•  Right click the hardscape object and choose Edit Slab (or Edit Path - either one might work). This provides access to the border/path object(s). Select the object and assign it to a class that has the desired attributes and textures.  Create a new class for the Hardscape object if needed, and designate fill and texture as desired.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

What I ended up doing is changing the 3D Type from 'Slab' to 'None' and now I can see the pattern in both Top/Plan view and a rendered version.  I have removed the sloping site due to it not being entirely necessary for this project and my lack of familiarity with the software.  

Thanks for the tips!

Stephanie