Vectorworks keeps crashing

skeyshubber

Question

I am trying to place a hardscape using poly lines and the hardscape tool.  When I'm adding surfaces with a few poly lines selected the program crashes.  This has happened three times within an hour.  

In addition, the autosave command isn't working.  I've set the file up to be auto saved every 5 minutes after having lost the work from earlier this morning.  I've tried saving the original file (from an earlier thread someone suggested having an initial save when the file is opened) and that hasn't remedied the saving issue.

I worked in VW yesterday on a different file with no issues.  I'm assuming it has to do with this file but i'm not sure where to begin.

Help!

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Generally for something like this, its best to contact tech@vectorworks.net and they can get the file from you and take a look. However if its an emergency and you need to move forward quickly, you can use Layer Import to bring everything into a new blank file and often escape file-specific problems:

17 minutes ago, skeyshubber said:

In addition, the autosave command isn't working.  I've set the file up to be auto saved every 5 minutes after having lost the work from earlier this morning.  I've tried saving the original file (from an earlier thread someone suggested having an initial save when the file is opened) and that hasn't remedied the saving issue.

Personally I would encourage you to set your autosave to number of operations instead of an amount of time if you're having trouble. That way it always saves between operations. If the timer runs out while VW is calculating something (eg. when its calculating a complex "Add Surface") it can sometimes cause issues.

Kevin

I'm having the same issue with Autosave.  Its just as noted.   Autosave simply 'isn't working'.

An initial backup is created when the file is first opened and then nothing after that for hours.   I never get a 'confirm before save' notice.  This has burned me twice today.

Here are my current settings.     

VW2018 SP2

autosave.jpeg

On 1/11/2018 at 11:46 AM, Joe-SA said:

I'm having the same issue with Autosave.  Its just as noted.   Autosave simply 'isn't working'.

Hi @Joe-SA, I have two users from seperate companies making this claim too, so I'd like to know what more you've learnt about it or how you might have resolved it. 

Has this issue persisted or happened again since? 

Did you notice what might have caused it or any correlation with other factors? 

If it has occurred again for you have you found a remedy that works for you? - Did saving the file with a different name resolve it like it did for@skeyshubber?

Edited by Jeremy Best

Considering that this was 9 months ago I'm not sure what the solved the problem.  I know it was not common in my office and did not persist for any length of time.  As others have noted...it very well could have been associated with just the one specific file.   It has not re-occurred since to the best of my knowledge.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Joe