Lit fog through window example

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a specific example I once saw of a great rendering someone made where there was a window on the camera left side of the space, with lit fog coming in through the window. The light was also broken up with foliage. I seem to remember it being a living room type space or perhaps a library.

I can't remember if it was a forum post, a tutorial, a YouTube video or what... Anyone know what I'm talking about? @Luis M Ruiz @JimW

Just looking for that one specific example, not other tutorials on the subject... Thanks!

The second one from Stephan is definitely the library I was remembering. Thank you! I think there's yet another example I'm picturing, though I was combining it in my head with the images above.

I seem to remember the other example perhaps being a video or webinar that walked through all the steps to create what's seen above. I remember it being a clearly explained tutorial, so I'd like to send it to an acquaintance who's looking to learn how to create the effect, since I'm unable to walk through the steps with her in person.

(Maybe I dreamed the whole thing, haha)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
16 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Thank you! I think there's yet another example I'm picturing, though I was combining it in my head with the images above.

I could have sworn there was too, will keep looking. However I'm fairly certain there wasn't a howto (at least not one made by us directly) on it.

Because of this thread, I'll be making a tutorial on this however. Will likely use this file from @Luis M Ruiz:

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 11.40.12 AM.png

• 1 month later...

Question: the video at 0:56 mentions needing to use a Render Mode with Indirect Lighting. Lit Fog seems to also work for me with Indirect Lighting off. Of course, turning it off results in the renderings looking very different than those in the video (since they all have Indirect Lighting on), but I just wanted to bring it up as it might be misleading to suggest Lit Fog requires Indirect Lighting.

(It of course looks better with it on :))

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
13 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Question: the video at 0:56 mentions needing to use a Render Mode with Indirect Lighting. Lit Fog seems to also work for me with Indirect Lighting off.

Apologies, that's to get the fog to emit light. It will still show on screen without it but it won't add to and affect the other lighting in the scene properly.