Accidental revert to saved – or something more sinister?

Within the latest week, newly created geometry has disappeared 3 or 4 times – usually 3-10 minutes worth of work.

It seems to follow some unfortunate accidental keystroke. Then there is a view change and whatever I have just been working on disappears from my drawing.

Instinctively I hit the undo shortcut and the the redo, but none of them work.

It seems as if the file has just reverted to the last saved copy.

But I did not knowingly initiate that command, nor is there any known shortcut, that could result in that event.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anybody know, how this could happen?

It does make me fear for the integrity of my file – especially since backup files are notoriously unreliable for objects with complex histories.

I use VW2018 SP1

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard
  • 1 month later...

Woah, this just happened to me.

I was in an active RW camera on my Design Layer (setting up a view for a rendering). I was using the third mode of the translate view tool to adjust the perspective amount. I didn't like the change so I hit Cmd+Z, and VW undid like 20 steps. Not sure whether it went back to a point at which I had saved or some other point. Thankfully only lost like 5 minutes of work.

• 4 years later...

This just happened to me again. I duplicated an extrude via click-drag, but the duplicated one was invisible (but selectable) and acting strange. So I hit undo, hoping to step backward to before I created the duplicate.

Instead I found myself in a state of the file from about an hour ago (!)

I had saved about 10 minutes ago, so I just closed without saving and then reopened.

Very odd.

Undo is skipping steps for me too periodically. Like you say, often presaged by something behaving not quite right. I am in habit of closing + restarting VW the minute something behaves slightly weird as I know chances are something far worse is lurking around the corner... Same once my VW memory has crept too high... Which reminds me...  ok 38.55 GB - time to restart!