Retain Cut objects

I have a closed polyline extrude, like four enclosing walls. I would like to make an opening, but would like to retain the discarded object for use elsewhere. Is there a method of using the Split Tool or another technique or workflow that might enable me to achieve this. Attached is a simplified diagram of what I would like to do. And below that a 3D example as well.5a53909605b24_ScreenShot2018-01-08at15_26_42.thumb.png.b7f8f2f67641ac0daa535dec21c4336d.png

5a5390a542b59_ScreenShot2018-01-08at15_38_41.thumb.png.d0c0a8fdb7faef2e6765b0ba82c39ec0.png

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks

Mark

I always make a second extrude and use solid subtract - making sure to check "retain subtracting object" (or whatever the exact wording is....)  If the shapes are really odd - make a duplicate of the original - make an oversized cube and then run Intersecting solids and keep the part you want.  Then use that to solid subtract from the original.

You could also so this with the 2D portion using either clip surface or Intersecting surface.

Does that cover what you are after?

e.

Edited by EAlexander
38 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

I always make a second extrude and use solid subtract - making sure to check "retain subtracting object" (or whatever the exact wording is....)

^ This would be the simplest method.

Alternately, if you create the original extrude plus an extrude to subtract you could use Model>Section Solids. By duplicating the result and using the Reverse Direction button in the OIP you will end up with both pieces.

Kevin

I was hoping there was a nifty way of doing this. it seems that the workflow would be:

1. duplicate the extrude in place
  2. Create a solid object that will cut the hole
  3. pick one of the duplicates and subtract the hole cutting object (check retain subtracting solid)
  4. Then select the remaining duplicate and the retained subtracting solid and run the Intersect Solids command to put back the removed object.

Phew! Quite a long-winded way to do what on the face of it seems like a quick operation! If anyone else has a better way to do this I would really like to know.

Thanks

Mark