3d detail drawing

How much information do you have on the part? Looks like multi-direction curves. If you want to draw it accurately, you will need to know much of that information. 

Do you know how the part is made? If it is a casting it may be challenging. If it is a flat sheet punched and bent, then it should be doable.

At first glance I would consider using the Subdivision tool to make this. It will let you move parts around as necessary.

If you know the radius of the curves, you could also start with a big block and make "cutting" pieces to subtract from the big block to get the shape.

Here's an example file.

22 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

But I thought it was a bottle cap opener.

^ Love this. It does look like one of those bench mounted ones, doesn't it. I wonder how much force it takes to open a bottle. My guess was based on it having a force rating stamped on it. I always notice the nerdy tech info.... Benson's right about the geometry. There is something else going on beyond my simplified version.

KM

5a50255463e0a_ScreenShot2018-01-05at5_23_29PM.thumb.png.c77ed3e8ab7bb0997c6302b8ce5d8b47.png

Example.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 7:49 AM, nrkuhl said:

@jakezyou designing some climbing walls?

For the curious, that's a bolt hanger used in climbing to clip a quickdraw and rope into (or anchor to).  Typically anchored into rock with an expansion bolt, or t-nutted to a plywood climbing wall.

Wow, clearly I have to change my forum settings so I get emails when people respond to my questions. You guys are amazing! Thank you so much.

Yes, I design climbing walls and am slowly adding to my library of itsy bitsy details so I can just plug them into any drawing I'm working on. (It isn't great for opening a beer bottle, better to use a H-frame carabiner :))

On 1/5/2018 at 5:28 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

Here's an example file.

^ Love this. It does look like one of those bench mounted ones, doesn't it. I wonder how much force it takes to open a bottle. My guess was based on it having a force rating stamped on it. I always notice the nerdy tech info.... Benson's right about the geometry. There is something else going on beyond my simplified version.

KM

5a50255463e0a_ScreenShot2018-01-05at5_23_29PM.thumb.png.c77ed3e8ab7bb0997c6302b8ce5d8b47.png

Example.vwx

Beauty, thanks Kevin.