2018 Tiltle Block sheet & page number

TKA

Question

Title block updating has not worked out for me  so I rebuilt it, much easier in the new version in fact.  I have one quandary though.  For some reason in all default title blocks and pop up "links" there is no option for differentiating between sheet number and page number.  Sheet number is something like A-100.00 and page number is where the sheet lives in the over all set of drawings, for instance A100.00 may be 11th page in the set.  There is no such option in default "title block links" - the question is how to create a "custom" one. I was able to do it in 2017 but cannot replicate it in 2018. 

16 answers to this question

thanks, but unfortunately it does nothing to solve the problem.  In fact it is easier just having a text box than using the field you suggested, less clicks to achieve the result.  The problem I am posing here is that the VW title blocks are not designed for architects or engineers, they might be good for a maintenance crew or someone like that.  No professional can number/name drawings as SHT-1, SHT-2.  At the very least a title block needs to have a Drawing Number (it has it now), Drawing Title (it has it now) and Page Number (it does not), with the last one generated automatically via stacking order.  This is critical as the set of drawings is being developed the sheets are added renumbering Pages and controlling Drawing Numbers is extremely tedious when done manually.

I did have it working in 2017 with all the information feeding into drawing list worksheet, but for some reason I cannot find a way of doing it in 2018.

1 hour ago, TKA said:

At the very least a title block needs to have a Drawing Number (it has it now), Drawing Title (it has it now) and Page Number (it does not),

I can definitely see this is a need myself.

1 hour ago, TKA said:

with the last one generated automatically via stacking order.

I'm not sure I would want this as the only option. I mix multiple types of drawings in one file so this wouldn't work unless there were a way to create subgroups of sheet layers (which I think is already a much needed wishlist item). It might be better served in the near term by the stacking order in the publish dialog where you can save a set.

Kevin

agreed that different sets would be one step further, and as a matter of fact that is another problem I ran into.  Subsets could exist in the "organization" window that rules layers, classes and so on and retrieved via "Publish". Then if that works then these sets could be also used in generating drawing list, with options from "sheet data"  like revisions etc.

I posted this topic before and talked to Tech Support but surprisingly there was no interest.  This baffles me as sheet naming, and especially page numbering and keeping track of usually comes right before deadline and when done manually is easily prone to mistakes.

1 minute ago, TKA said:

This baffles me as sheet naming, and especially page numbering and keeping track of usually comes right before deadline and when done manually is easily prone to mistakes.

Exactly.

Hopefully with the the new titleblock system now in place, the next step will be re-designing the Sheet Layer numbering system to be more functional.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 5.01.2018 г. at 3:41 PM, TKA said:

At the very least a title block needs to have a Drawing Number (it has it now), Drawing Title (it has it now) and Page Number (it does not)

Hello TKA and Kevin,

This is planned for the next version of the Title Block Border.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Nikolay,

thanks, this would be a great improvement, current title block and schedules are way better/clearer then before.  Another thing is a drawing list with revisions and issue dates.  Seems like there a good foundation to keep track of them in the title block/border sheet, however, there is no way to include that info in the drawing list spreadsheet:  traditionally there would be grid indicating revision history (which is still a preferred way as far as I am concerned), but at least if we have a current revision indicated in the drawing list (as it is currently possible) there should be data base driven list of all revision dates as opposed to just the latest one.  This is important as it is keeping track of changes and hence of change orders which are always point of contention between various parties during construction process.

I am enclosing a drawing list that we have been using so far (and which I believe most offices in this country are using), this just a spreadsheet with manual input, this could work with data based input (its almost there) for as long as the revision/submission data could be incorporated into pull down menus

DRAWING LIST.pdf

9 hours ago, TKA said:

Nikolay,

thanks, this would be a great improvement, current title block and schedules are way better/clearer then before.  Another thing is a drawing list with revisions and issue dates.  Seems like there a good foundation to keep track of them in the title block/border sheet, however, there is no way to include that info in the drawing list spreadsheet:  traditionally there would be grid indicating revision history (which is still a preferred way as far as I am concerned), but at least if we have a current revision indicated in the drawing list (as it is currently possible) there should be data base driven list of all revision dates as opposed to just the latest one.  This is important as it is keeping track of changes and hence of change orders which are always point of contention between various parties during construction process.

I am enclosing a drawing list that we have been using so far (and which I believe most offices in this country are using), this just a spreadsheet with manual input, this could work with data based input (its almost there) for as long as the revision/submission data could be incorporated into pull down menus

DRAWING LIST.pdf

Have you checked out the worksheet reports created from File->Title Block Manager...->Issue Manager... ? If not, could you check them out and tell me, if they are getting the job done for you?

OK, I checked the Issue manager, seems pretty good, but its missing page numbers.  Strange thing though in "project revision history" which I would like to use as my combined drawing list, issue revision table, for some reason the VW script is set up for Issue not for Revision, I tried changing it but it doesnt work.  See enclosed and also my simple data base driven drawing list.

Untitled.png

Untitled 2.png

17 hours ago, TKA said:

Strange thing though in "project revision history" which I would like to use as my combined drawing list, issue revision table, for some reason the VW script is set up for Issue not for Revision, I tried changing it but it doesnt work.

'Project Revision History' report is listing the information for the issues in the document. It is almost the same as 'Project Issue History', with the exception of that it is displaying 'Current Revision Number' of each issue. If you want to list all revisions, check out the 'Sheet Revision Log', which you could find in the same place as the 'Project Revision History'.

Project Revision History does not list any single revision, just one Issue date.  This is completely contrary to the menus which VW offers in the Title Block Manager which is really confusing, please see attachment  - clearly there is an option of showing as many issues and revisions as one wants but the spreadsheet doesnt support it.  Also, I am asking for the revisions and issues to be indicated by number not by letter and yet it shows as a letter.

Untitled.png

15 hours ago, TKA said:

I can, but essentially what happens is that once I set try to create Revision Report I get it empty as it displays issue date and not revision.  See my previous post with redmark - it shows "issue" string in Revision Report

Once more, Project Revision History is listing information about the issues and the Current Revision Number of each issue( which is filled from Title Block Border's Current Revision Number at the time the issue is created ). The name of the worksheet report will be changed to something that is not confusing.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

thanks for clarifications.  What I am looking for is a standard drawing list with history of all revisions listed, all in one as this is what<as far as I know all architects use, as opposed to different logs and lists )not sure what purpose they serve - I have been practicing for 20 years.  I have managed to create my own and the only thing I am missing is ability to have in data header pull down menu ability to choose issue date. That along with automatic page numbering would be of great help creating standard drawing, issue, revision list.