Bug Report - The future is here!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is something we have been kicking around internally for awhile and would very much like to incorporate into Vectorworks directly. Some issues it makes sense to come here to the forums and talk them out but others are fairly obvious and straightforward, lending themselves perfectly to in-app reporting.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to have something like this to get in touch with tech support, it could be implemented in VW as well as Jim said as it really does not require a program to be cloud based, except for sharing large files. That is the one advantage that Onshape has as the files are already on their servers as you don't have to send 100+ megabyte files over the internet. Though with complex enough files and a problem coming up a few hours before a deadline I doubt that support will be able to find the cause and/or solution for anything but simple things.

As mentioned before in other discussions, quite a few support issues could be solved by fixing existing bugs so I'd rather have that done first before they start implementing something like this, unless it is something that can be relatively easily implemented.

i read this book a few years ago...

the take away was this...there was no single problem that was causing defective wire but defects were a result of a combination of messiness, sloppiness.

when they cleaned the factory & cleaned the machines the defects went away.

so it would seem that less lines of code, clean out any legacy items, stream line workflows... etc would be the only way to reduce bugs.

Onshape has bugs but they are few but only because its a simple program and only allows you to work ONE way.

VW allows you to do just about anything (which i like) but then things get messy.

5a58b7efbd854_ScreenShot2018-01-12at8_27_14AM.thumb.png.9246eea2c77802af1877e935f26f2e93.png

3 hours ago, digitalcarbon said:

the take away was this...there was no single problem that was causing defective wire but defects were a result of a combination of messiness, sloppiness.

when they cleaned the factory & cleaned the machines the defects went away.

so it would seem that less lines of code, clean out any legacy items, stream line workflows... etc would be the only way to reduce bugs.

Onshape has bugs but they are few but only because its a simple program and only allows you to work ONE way.

VW allows you to do just about anything (which i like) but then things get messy.

If I could summarise my experience of CAD and where I'd like to be with CAD I think this is it.

I'd hazard a guess that whoever manages to create an AEC-equivalent of Onshape would grow gradually at first and then captapult into the lead of everything within 5-10 years.

Edited by Christiaan
18 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Although if you're using Cloud Services then this may already be taken care of.

KM

That would assume you are working on a live file that is hosted in Cloud Services. With OnShape the live file is always in the cloud on their servers, with Cloud Services this is optional. This assuming that it would work well with the kind of files I am using.

5 hours ago, zoomer said:

Bricscad 24/7 ?

Bricscad 24/7 is more an online document management system that also allows you to edit files in there with versioning etc. but you would still need a Bricscad seat on your computer to do this, so it is not really like OnShape were everything is in the cloud inc. the software to create documents/drawings. They do have Bricscad Shape coming soon that is supposed to compete with SketchUp, it may be cloud based, but it is aimed at AEC conceptual design and not detailed engineering.

As mentioned before by me, Bricscad is probably one of those programs that may become a competitor to Vectorworks on the Mac, but as long as Vectorworks does not fix some dwg compatibility features still missing such as importing/exporting text styles from/to dwg then people looking for an AutoCAD alternative on Mac might go for Bricscad instead of Vectorworks, which would be  too bad as once they are using Bricscad on Mac they may no longer look at Vectorworks again for a while (and the same may apply to Windows as well to some extent). Some 3D modelling things may work better in Briscad, but other 3D modelling work better in Vectorworks and the similar for other tools, but I think Vectorworks still has an edge overall over AutoCAD and other dwg based software. Which I why I am harping on those last few dwg compatibility things as I'd rather drop dwg based software than Vectorworks if I had to choose, but only if those DWG compatibility things are solved.

Oh, haven't looked at it much. Only read something about no B-Thing needed

and prices so I thought it would be a complete cloud app.

I don't think B-Thing and VW are real competitors.

Someone who loves the VW way must hate B-Thing. Vice versa, someone who

loves ACAD behaviors would hate VW.

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

I don't think B-Thing and VW are real competitors.

Someone who loves the VW way must hate B-Thing. Vice versa, someone who

loves ACAD behaviors would hate VW.

I don't hate or love VW or B-thing. Though I like VW more than ACAD style software. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps that is because I am in a DWG/GIS centric world and using VW for things where it is clearly ahead of ACAD and the likes in what I use it for, though it still has some shortcomings e.g. with regard to exchange to/from DWG. For the rest I now use B-thing if using VW is not feasible for whatever reason (i.e. where it still fails with regard to DWG compatibility or project requirements.)

Most VW users are architects and for them VW is often the better package than ACAD and the likes from a usability perspective. But I could be wrong.

I also think Architects are mostly more visual than abstract thinking,

so there is a higher density in VW lovers. But have to realize there are

people who love and prefer the ACAD way for any reasons :)

And from a CAD Basics standpoint I think VW is a bit faster and easier

than B-Thing but I think by several small surgeries in VW could make it

even very cool.

But for me it seems such little changes would even need to clean up and

rearrange VW completely.

As for the architectural or BIM part I am not yet sure what is faster or

less cumbersome at the end. Complex PIOs, limiting when the task

exceeds the tool vs minimalistic and flexible but more steps needed.

For a real opinion I would need to do a real project in B-Thing.

After a bit of trial, for me the second currently seems more future proof

and maybe fits better to my projects but it depends how far the use of

artificial intelligence in tools will be applicable. 

As an overall package for architecture, opposed to VW, the B-Thing is less

complete and adapted and very limited in exchange data and information

with the world outside of the ACAD universe (+ Mechanical + IFC),

like with 3D Apps.

For DWG exchange, I think VW makes a better job in bringen data in than

exporting DWG. And I wonder about DWG exchange differences in quality

although nearly every App just uses the same Teigha libraries.

Yes B-thing is only starting with its BIM stuff, VW is clearly better at the moment. That being said, B-thing is aiming at AutoCAD and its verticals as well as Revit as it is all in the DWG instead of dealing with two or more formats (DWG, RVT/RFA and even Inventor if you take its mechanical, sheetmetal and communicator additions into account).

Either program will require workarounds or extra efforts depending on one's needs and requirements as neither one does it all.

And yes, considering that they use the same Teigha libraries it is surprising that some things are not supported in VW's DWG import/export (e.g. the text styles that I keep harping about, which I think is a major omission for those roundtripping drawings with ACAD users)

^ Interesting.

But I think VW is much more related to Art than B-Thing.

B-thing has more legacy in the dry side of CAD.

But some very interesting but also quite technical BIM approaches.

That may not hold real artists from misusage as a tool for Art

as they mostly do.

Edited by zoomer

B-thing is originally @zoomer's way of mentioning Bricscad without it seeming as advertising it too much.

It has some nice features that I think VW could copy, e.g. if you have a cube and draw a circle on it and then extrude that circle into the cube then it automatically generates a hole. It does not matter whether you use one circle or an array of circles. Even nicer, if you extrude one circle and extrude it into the cube to make a hole and you want more of those you can simply select the extrusion and copy it to create additional holes. They call it design intent recognition, it tries to guess what you want to do.

With VW you would have the cube, the extruded circle and then do a subtract solids operation. The last step is not necessary in B-thing. Also if you want to copy that hole in VW you have to double click the composite solid to edit the geometry and copy the holes, also not needed in B-thing as you can simply directly copy it as mentioned above. Or you simply delete the hole from the cube, again without having to go into the composite to edit the geometry, as each extrusion is on its own, not a group extrusion as in VW where you would have to ungroup the extrusion first or get into the geometry of the group extrusion. (Although grouped extrusions can be an advantage at times, so it is not all negative)

It's one of those things of which I would like it to show up in VW eventually, that is... if the Parasolid kernel or VW license of the Parasolid kernel would allow for that. It would save quite a few additional clicks/operations in the long run.

Edited by Art V