How do you disconnect at dimension from an object?

I know some of you love the feature of when you change a dimension it changes the object it's associated with.

I never use that, and most of the time the object doesn't' associate with the dimension, but with 2018 it seems to do it more often.

How do you disassociate the dimension from the object?

My current dilemma is I want to nudge the dimension so it's out of the way, but when I do the object nudges with it.

My current solution is to delete the dimension and start over.

Lame

• Love 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Right click on the dimension line and choose "Disassociate" from the context menu. I think this will work on both single and multiple selections of dimensions, but you must have ONLY the dimension(s) selected, not the objects they are dimensioning, in order to see this menu.

Right click. Of course.

10 minutes ago, JimW said:

Right click on the dimension line and choose "Disassociate" from the context menu. I think this will work on both single and multiple selections of dimensions, but you must have ONLY the dimension(s) selected, not the objects they are dimensioning, in order to see this menu.

You can also go into the Document Preferences, Dimensions tab, and uncheck the Associate Dimensions check box. Then you won't have to worry about dimensions ever associating.

Since this is a Document Preference, you would need to make this change in your template files (if you use them) so that it will flow forward pre-set into new files.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:21 AM, JimW said:

Right click on the dimension line and choose "Disassociate" from the context menu.

23 hours ago, markdd said:

Just because there is always another way - Select the dimension and Menu/Edit/Edit Constraints.

You can also right click the object itself (say, a rectangle) and choose "Remove Constraints".

Because there is always yet another way :)