Video screen tool - workflow

Dear,

I have a question about the video screen tool in VW spotlight 2018. 

I cannot find a way to use the ultra short throw lenses that are using a mirror, for instance the panasonic ET-DLE030. I can use the custom lens option to fill in the lens info, but still the projector cannot rotate. This is really inconvenient, because AV integrators don't understand my drawings, because the projector is in the wrong place. Is there a solution for this, that I didn't found yet? 

I hope someone knows the solution to this problem.

Best Regards,

Frederick -

This isn't a bug or a problem.  It is a matter of how your chosen projector models are created/formatted.  So, there are 2 answers to your question:

1)  You can easily create your own projector model(s).  The Web page in my signature includes a link to the manual for the Landru Design versions of the tools.  Toward the end of the manual there is a section giving some general information on creating custom projectors, stands, and TVs.  You can also watch this YouTube movie: 

It is a few years old and some of the details have changed but the general convention remains true.

2)  For users holding a license to the Landru Design version of the tools, we included a couple of ultra-short-throw projectors in the latest release.  While there are only 2 (for now), we included them for the very reason you cite - that they APPEAR to work quite differently than other projector models - and users might need examples of how to make things work.

• 1 month later...

I finished it a bit sooner that I thought. 

Caveats:

I extracted and simplified the geometry from the PDF manual for the lens which has front and top views but no sides. 

I didn't get a chance to measure a lens installed in a projector so this is a guess as to how far the thing sticks out, but I seem to say " yikes that sticks out really far" every time I use one of these things.

I was going for something to give an idea for the drawing not perfect accuracy.  IE client can see on a diagram that there will be a projector on the floor really close to the screen.

I'm new to messing around in Records, this may not be perfect.

The projector body is the DZ-870

Use.

Back up your old Projector Models file!!!!!!!!

Copy the attached file into your C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2017\Libraries\Defaults\Video Screen\Projector Models or equivalent on a mac.

When you use the Screen tool there should be an option for Panasonic now. 

Set the vertical position to Specific Shift, with the distance being negative of the center of the screen to the floor.

I hope to dig into how the Stands work and make one that is just a Locust at 0,0,0 then you don't have to do math on the height.

I may have forgotten something so input is welcome.

DL

Projector_Models.vwx

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, Drew L said:

Back up your old Projector Models file!!!!!!!!

Copy the attached file into your C:\Program Files\Vectorworks 2017\Libraries\Defaults\Video Screen\Projector Models or equivalent on a mac.

While backing up your "Projector Models" file is definitely a good idea, it is not necessary - IF you remember that you don't have to over-write that file.  The tools will recognize any projector Symbols in any current-version VW files contained in that folder.  Call your new file something like "My Custom Projectors.vwx" and you'll be good-to-go!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Drew,

This has quickly become a life-saver for me - please help yourself to a free cup of coffee - my treat!!

I'm giong to work on going a little further and try to set up the various projectors my company (an AV rental and production firm) has in inventory (PT-RZ770, PT-RZ970, PT-RZ12k, and PT-RZ21K).

Maybe someone can help me here - I've downloaded the BIM files from panasonic (https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/projector/extranet/main/cad/bim.html), but when I import them (Vectorworks 2017) I get file information amd a rather useless box instead of the 3D projector.  I was REALLY hoping to avoid making these from scratch, does anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong (proabably the case) or, even better, has some saviour already modeled these projectors (and the PT-RZ575 - we use those all the time)?  Another free coffee up for grabs.

Thasnk all!

Scott