• Announcements

    • JimW

      How to use the Wishlist   09/21/2016

      Create a new post here, stating both what you would like to see added to Vectorworks or it's supporting systems and web pages and why you would like that change made. If you see an idea you like, press the ^ arrow to the left of the post's title to promote that idea or feel free to comment on that idea with any additional considerations or concerns you may have. 
  • 18
Kaare Baekgaard

Basic textures for VW2018 and the future

Question

The most basic textures – metals, glass, plastic, etc. have not been updated for a decade, and they do not take advantage of the many new features, that have been added since.

 

There are a lot of nice Arroway textures for architectural surfaces, but the most basic of materials – like aluminum – really stink.

 

It would be my guess that many VW users spend a great deal of of time tweaking bad textures and it does take a lot of effort to get them just right.

 

Perhaps you could ask a talented intern to redo them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

  • 0

Agreed, a lot of the old items we have in there pre Cloth, Metal, Brick, Displacement etc are image based and now comparatively substandard to a lot of the rest of the library. I very rarely use the stuff from the Default list and find myself either building from scratch or using the Resource Manager search, but many new users might not know to do either of these things and think that they were limited to these older options. Adding this to a similar wish submission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Kaare Baekgaard said:

but the most basic of materials – like aluminum – really stink.

 

I agree 1000%; This is something that should not be too difficult to implement in the next major release of Vw2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I often build things too. I think the Library items all need to be tagged with the date/version they were added to the Library and the Resource Manager needs a way to sort by this tag. I find that if the online libraries are turned on you can get a lot of duplicate textures, most of them being very old and not updated to use the new shaders.

 

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
25 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I often build things too. I think the Library items all need to be tagged with the date/version they were added to the Library and the Resource Manager needs a way to sort by this tag. I find that if the online libraries are turned on you can get a lot of duplicate textures, most of them being very old and not updated to use the new shaders.

 

Kevin

 

 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 3/1/2018 at 3:52 PM, JimW said:

Agreed, a lot of the old items we have in there pre Cloth, Metal, Brick, Displacement etc are image based and now comparatively substandard to a lot of the rest of the library. I very rarely use the stuff from the Default list and find myself either building from scratch or using the Resource Manager search, but many new users might not know to do either of these things and think that they were limited to these older options. Adding this to a similar wish submission.

 

Thanks.

 

Perhaps you could also make a request for a useful set of metallic shaders?

 

The metallic pulldown menu includes niobium, magnesium oxide, tantalum and several others, that I may have read about.

 

Like most VW users, however, I tend to go for somewhat less exotic materials – like stainless steel, aluminum and brass – all of which are excluded.

 

I wish someone sensible would shout that to the developers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 1/9/2018 at 8:39 AM, Kaare Baekgaard said:

 

Thanks.

 

Perhaps you could also make a request for a useful set of metallic shaders?

 

The metallic pulldown menu includes niobium, magnesium oxide, tantalum and several others, that I may have read about.

 

Like most VW users, however, I tend to go for somewhat less exotic materials – like stainless steel, aluminum and brass – all of which are excluded.

 

I wish someone sensible would shout that to the developers.

I have thought about this too.  When I first saw the list I thought wow this seems kinda technical.  Where are the basics that everyone will understand?

Needs improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 1/9/2018 at 4:39 AM, Kaare Baekgaard said:

Perhaps you could also make a request for a useful set of metallic shaders?

 

The metallic pulldown menu includes niobium, magnesium oxide, tantalum and several others, that I may have read about.

++++1

 

and maybe a simple Transparency texture? Otherwise I Create a new texture every time I need a see through 3d poly or extrude or other. And forget to save to Faves of course, because I’m mad there wasn’t one in the default  pulldown.

 

And a landscape flagstone one that is irregular, non grid stones in addition to the current one that is grid of cut squares

 

-B

 

Edited by Benson Shaw
Use your words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now