Workspace Recovery

bc

Question

After exiting a  dialog I thought I was routinely dismissing, suddenly Vectorworks purposefully closed itself down and now after reopening, my custom workspace is nowhere to be found. The file I was working on is OK.

The workspace I was working in does not exist.  I don't remember what the dialog was for exactly.  

I need to get back to my old workspace.  Is there anyone willing to help me get there? I have Time machine set up but don't know how to deal with the workspaces file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bradley

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The workspace should only exist in one of two locations, either your user folder or the Vectorworks 2017/Workspaces folders. If you cant find it at either location and you never relocated your user folder or used a workgroup folder, search your machine for ".vww" file extensions. That should give you Vectorworks workspaces as a result on your entire machine or within your time machine backups.

I don't quite get it.

This first dialog is where I think started going wrong. I probably continued with the process and overwrote my workspace file?

The User library file is greyed  starting out but the BEC file is not.  Yet my workspace editor doesn't list it. Then it IS greyed out in the bottom shot.

Would it be useful for me to simply uninstall and reinstall?

SNAFU DIALOG MESSAGE.png

SNAFU STRING GREYED.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 8.28.53 AM.png

Edited by bc

OK I got the problem solved via VSS Tech Support. I might even understand it a little.

Somehow I allowed VW to create a a user locale within my Custom Title Block folder.

In other words, VW was told to go here to find available custom workspaces, but the Workspaces folder installed there was empty.

So Tech support helped me reestablish a proper reference to the correct file in the correct location and we deleted all the extraneous stuff in the TB folder.

Voila!  Kudos to Tech support and to Jim who got me started on the right track.

• Like 1