Have symbols auto populate along a line/shape

Is it possible to draw a line of any distance and have symbols automatically populate along the line? It is a feature I saw in someone else's AutoCAD and thought it would be very nice to have. In particular I would like to use it to draw fence lines. I have the 8' sections of fence as a symbol and I want them to replace the line (or object) to the closet 8' so a 24' line would become 3 symbols etc.

I have fundamentals and spotlight.

Thanks! 

YES ....sort of .....    I'm not sure if you would call this 'automatic' but I do this for fences.  I have a symbol with both 2D and 3D elements for an 8 ft long fence segment, then draw a path, then select both and choose "edit > duplicate along path".  That works well.  However, I've never figured out a way for the 3D element to go up and down with the slope of the terrain.  The horizontal portion is always horizontal and doesn't match the grade slope (unless the grade is flat).  Also, if the line has a segment that is not a multiple of the fence segment (8ft) some custom fixing is needed.

In addition to this there is the old tool. This still exists in the workspace editor. This works well, but only for 2d paths. The nice thing about this is that you can see an outline preview as you are using the tool.

5a4c9c87cce82_ScreenShot2018-01-03at08_47_11.thumb.png.ac233f92a93a12ae9a6091743d66d43a.png

The "Duplicate along path" menu command will work fine if the path is a Nurbs curve or 3D poly as well. Hybrid symbols will not change z values according to the path object though. A work around is to remove the 2d portion of the symbol, perform the command and then add the 2d portion back. That works fine!

Edited by markdd
7 hours ago, markdd said:

The "Duplicate along path" menu command will work fine if the path is a Nurbs curve or 3D poly as well. Hybrid symbols will not change z values according to the path object though. A work around is to remove the 2d portion of the symbol, perform the command and then add the 2d portion back. That works fine!

^ That is a great solution.

Kevin