2018 Service pack 2 not working on second monitor

VermontArchitect

Question

Since I installed VW 2018 Service pack 2, I am unable to run VW on a second monitor - I have two different monitors I have tried this on.  My old copy of 2017 still works fine on both monitors.  I reinstalled Service Pack 2 but that didn't help.  The menus look fine although I think they are not running native resolution on my 4k monitor.  Anything in the drawing window is messed up and untouchable.  When I grab the top and move VW back to screen 1 it works fine.  Then when I move it back it stops working.  All other programs including Photoshop and Sketchup work fine on the second monitor.  The screen shot shows the drawing window in which current drawing is partially opened in duplicate - this is typical.  hardware is super powerful - new Xi laptop with GeForce 1070.

Screenshot (2).png

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Looks like that machine is using its integrated Intel GPU rather than the dedicated one. This can normally be fixed with these steps:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/articles.html/articles/multiple-display-adapters-nvidia-control-panel-windows-only-r306/

There MIGHT also be a bios/uefi setting on the laptop to enable dedicated graphics, but most likely that is already enabled.

I just bought a new laptop with NVIDIA RTX 2060. I'm having the same issue with 2018 and the most updated service pack. I've followed all instructions previously posted to assign vectorworks to my RTX card. It just constantly freezes up everytime I drag vectorworks to the secondary monitor. What should I do?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you are using a windows laptop it maybe that you need to tell/force the laptop to use the RTX card when running Vectorworks,

this can be done in the Nvidia control panel 3D settings

It could also be how the RTX card is connected to the laptops outputs. I had a similar problem with my newest laptop when I tried to run both of my secondary monitors using a thunderbolt dock instead of connecting directly to the HDMI output. In my case the thunderbolt port on my laptop is not physically connected with the RTX card, only with the integrated Intel GPU.