Importing Sketchup files

Martin Bernstein

Question

5 answers to this question

That file was created with the latest version of Sketchup (18).  Save it back a version or two and you should be able to import it.

I'm not sure when Sketchup updates versions or if it is even on a schedule, but usually VW will import the version that was current around the time of the VW update - typically September.

Hello,

I'm just catching up on this old post as I'm having a similar issue. I have SU2018 (Pro) and VW 2019. I've tried importing from SU to VW but the message I receive is that the 'File is created by an unsupported SU version'. Could you please elaborate on what you meant by 'save it back a version or two' and how to do this please?

Many thanks

Penelope 

• Like 1
  • Administrator

@Perdy100 Open the SketchUp file by clicking File > Open.

Click File > Save As.... This will open the Save dialog box.

Click the Save as Type drop-down menu and choose the version of SketchUp you would like use to open the file. In your case 2017 or 2016.

Click OK. 

Then

Import the file in Vectorworks.

I hope this helps

@JuanP  thank you for coming back on this. I've saved the file as you instruct but there's a couple of things that don't make sense to me. Firstly, if my VectorWorks 2019 doesn't support SU2018, then why do you think it will support an even older file? Furthermore, when I save under the new edition, the file type still shows as 2018 at the top. Finally - I've tried to import the '2017' file as you suggest but I'm still getting the same message..trying now with 2016..!