J. Wallace

iMac Pro information

New official word today:

Updated to macOS 10.13.4 and have been using VectorWorks 2018 SP3 on my iMac Pro all day. Hasn't crashed once! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Allen Brown said:

Updated to macOS 10.13.4 and have been using VectorWorks 2018 SP3 on my iMac Pro all day. Hasn't crashed once! 

If anyone else reading can confirm this on their machine as well, please let me know! We will be testing the inhouse one today too.

When I check for updates, 10.13.4 does not seem to be available...  What am I missing?

As far as I can tell, it's still in the beta phase.  Maybe you're a member of the Apple beta testing team?  Preoccupied as I am with being a perpetual Vectorworks beta tester (ha, ha) I think maybe I'll wait 'til the public version is out...

I've now updated to 10.13.4, and Vectorworks crashed within about 15 seconds after rendering a model in OpenGL and orbiting around it.

My experience has been that it's the combination of OpenGL and Orbit that causes Vectorworks to crash.  Often, the crash is well after I'm done with OpenGL.

For the past two days (before 10.13.4), I did use OpenGL some, though sparingly, and I'm pretty sure that I did not use Orbit in conjunction with it.  Instead, I went to wireframe view to orbit about.  Vectorworks did not crash either day.  OpenGL and Zoom does not seem to be a problem.  VWIS121

Posted (edited)

Hi 

Updated to 10.13.4

I have been working for a whole day without crashing but mainly in 2d, after navigating with Flyovertool VW crashed.

Not yet fixed

Edited by Hans-Olav

Since then has locked up once, no particular reason. I’ve mainly been rendering without issue. I’ll try some other tools.,

Jim W. rumors are flying about a possible change to the Mac CPU infrastructure (i.e. a new chip made by Apple) and a transition away from Intel-based designs. Obviously this would require a reworking of the Mac VW version. Any in-house discussions of this that would be interesting to us naifs outside the building?

Just now, DanJansenson said:

Any in-house discussions of this that would be interesting to us naifs outside the building?

So far no, we have no additional specifics other than the semi-rumors going around now. Engineering is waiting on more info as well. It'll also depend on if they switch over the entire line or simply offer them for the lower end or long-battery-life-minded products like the Macbook Air, which I would assume is what they would do since it would be incredibly hard for them to match Intel CPU performance numbers in such a short time.

Any signs of progress on the iMac Pro + OpenGL + Flyover Vectorworks crashing issue?...

I'm not having a consistent problem with the flyover tool but it does crash once in awhile..

Same here. A crash once in a while. But much better. Hopefully 10.13.5 is out soon 

Okay, good to know.  Maybe I'll be a bit more intrepid in my use of OpenGL... and save a lot!