Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Marionette Help - Script to Create Plants from Database Favorites

ericjhberg

Hello,

I am hoping to get some help with a potential marionette script. I am a novice at marionette and have no idea if this is even possible, but basically I'm hoping to Create Plants from a very basic circle for all plants marked as Favorites in the Vectorworks Plant database. Additionally, it would be great if you could assign the Plant Definition's width, height, spacing, ID, etc. from information present in the database.

I don't know if marionette can access outside database information and then put it in the right place within a Plant Definition. I actually don't even know if it is possible to create a plant from marionette.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

@Alan Woodwell. Wow! The marionette script is an impressive tool. I could definitely see using that for random placements.

This isn't actually what I was asking though. I am looking for a way to essentially do the following steps, but for over 500 plants, defined as favorites in the Vectorworks Plants plant database.

1. Create Plant (Ideally from a really basic circle)
  2. Get Plant Data (opens Vectorworks Plants plant database)
  3. In the database, select a unique recrod marked as a favorite
  4. Run the command Vectorworks > Use Currently Selected Plant Record to update the Schedule information of the Plant Definition
  5. Copy the Latin Name Field and apply/paste it into the Plant Symbol Name field
  6. Update/Input the Insertion Options, Spread, Height, and Spacing fields with information present in the similarly named fields of Vectorworks Plants plant database record
  7. Repeat...again for every plant record marked as a favorite in the Vectorworks Plants plant database

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.