Dormer Issues

Sky

Question

10 answers to this question

I think this may have to do with the way I created this roof shape. To be able to create a gable at the end of another gable, I make a 1" notch in the polygon used to create the roof. The roof face on that side has the problem. If I place a dormer window on the other side, it does it correctly - including making a hole in a roof. 

I'm including a file with just the roof in it. 

BTW, another thing I can't do is control the interior finish of the gable walls. If it is stucco on the outside, it shows as stucco on the inside. Very annoying for my renderings. 

Dormer Test.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for the file, Sky.

Vectorworks 2018 fixed many issues similar to this so I’m surprised this is happening in that version. I submitted a bug with the file.

One workaround I can think of would be to break the main roof up into separate roof objects by making the gable and Dutch gable with separate roof objects. I realize this is not ideal.

Another option would be to create the dormer “manually” by placing separate walls with the window and a roof for the dormer. Then manually cut the hole in the main roof by placing a polygon in Top/Plan View and using the Subtract Surface command.