Auto Perspective

ThreeDot

Question

I've never used Blender, but I recently stumbled upon a Blender feature called Auto Perspective. When this option is turned on, Blender will automatically snap to an orthographic projection for top, bottom, front, back, and side views and return to a perspective projection for 3D views. I spend way too much time switching between orthographic and perspective views and I would love to see this feature in Vectorworks.

Video 1: 

Video 2: 

Edited by ThreeDot

5 answers to this question

That's not the same. Those settings work for Top/Plan view only. When working in a 3D view, I prefer to work in perspective. When working in a top, bottom, front, back, or side view, I prefer to work in an orthographic projection. I rarely want perspective when editing an elevation. What Blender does is much smarter.

In Vectorworks, if Perspective mode is set, then:

5a45306678d5b_VectorworksPerspectiveMode.thumb.png.7197101f2108d717dc60fdb4a36b1d58.png

In Vectorworks, if Orthographic mode is set, then:

5a450e2c9ad75_VectorworksOrthographicMode.thumb.png.fa1725e7813bfa708a2972868e9561e9.png

In Blender, if Auto Perspective mode is set, then:

5a450e2e81bd9_BlenderAutoPerspectiveMode.thumb.png.180b87dab1bc4d6b33c81790a7a57067.png

P.S. Can someone explain why the "Top/Plan" view (Top slash Plan) can't simply be called "Plan"? I've never understood why we need the "Top/" part of that label. Isn't a plan always an orthographic top projection? Or at least enough that it can be safely be labeled "Plan" to simplify the interface. Wouldn't that also negate the need for the preferences, settings, and UI elements that markdd mentioned. Plan would always be a orthographic wireframe projection and Top would be used to create perspective and rendered plans.

Edited by ThreeDot
Corrected error in Vectorworks Perspective table.
7 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

When they implemented the functionality that Mark described in his first post, I was super excited until I realized it wasn't really intuitive with Orthographic views. 

Same here.

I started whining for the behavior that ThreeDot asks for at the same time.

And much more, for true orthogonal views in general.

Edited by zoomer