JMR

Select similar tool - current selection mode doesn't work properly

Question

Hi all,

When selecting walls with the select similar tool and using "current selection mode", the tool ignores the current selection and selects objects not included as well.

We are running 2018 Designer/SP2 in a pc environment.

Oddly, the same problem persists even if we save the file to 2017. However, the file has been created with 2018. The issue occurs across different computers as well.

It can be replicated almost always.

Included is a screenshot and a sample file. I've selected the walls of the top plan, but the SS tool picks also walls from the lowermost plan, even though "current selection mode" is enabled.

Anyone else come across this? Does this replicate on other peoples' installations as well? We have never encountered this before in VW.

Happy holidays btw!

Capture.PNG

current_selection_error_sample_file.vwx

Edited by JMR
Added 2017 to keywords

11 answers to this question

Well, it seems the problem occurs even with a brand new file, in versions both 2017 and 2018.

Here is a blank sample file drawn with built-in wall styles.

Same issue.

The distribution version we use is the international one.

current_selection_error_sample_file_2_v2017.vwx

Just tested it on light objects and it works as designed. Wall objects on the other hand in a band new 2018 file work as you describe. 

Walls are the objects I've encountered this problem with.

Ive just had a look at this and it works 'as intended' as far as I can see.

Are you sure you have the criteria set correctly for picking just the wall style. 

@JMRand @markddNeither of you posted a screen shot of the settings you are using to pick the walls. Mine are...

5a43a1e1df04f_ScreenShot2017-12-27at13_35_24.thumb.png.92eb671c8225da846d1ad2c727f72284.png

Maybe you are making it too complicated by having other options (accidentally) in the preferences list? I think its best to keep things really simple.

Also, when zoomed out, be careful not to click on windows in walls thinking you are choosing the wall. The wand is a bit clumpy at distance.

I hope this helps you - let me know if I've had too many drinks. .......Hic!

I had "object type" and "style" selected.

But unfortunately no, it doesn't change behavior if only "style" is selected. It still selects objects outside the current selection.

...are you sure you used "current selection mode"?

Here is a screenshot...I selected the walls in the topmost plan, however all similar walls were selected at the end

Capture2.PNG

Ahh... Gotya

Sorry - I misunderstood your problem - I see what you mean. I can't find any adjustments that change the outcome either.

Def isn't as intended.

Looks like a bug

JMR, Have you tried a work-a-round by doing a Custom Selection? ( You can also establish this command as a macro.)

I couldn't get the script to drop the other selected wall styles.

I guess I should submit the original issue as a bug. One would think it would be easy to fix, since the software must know the wall styles of different walls.

Tech support confirmed they were able to replicate the problem. The engineering team has been notified.