Title Block and Scale Bar

nikihoops

So I've created a template title block for us to use in the office. Ive set up its size, our logo and all the other bits and it works fine. However....theres always a however right....I want to be able to have the option of changing the scale bar to suit the drawing that is on the sheet. My template drawing that I request people start with has a sheet already set up that they can duplicate (so it takes all the info with it) but the scale bar on this sheet is say 1:50 but the new sheet might be 1:100 - how best to do this?

Is it just a case of creating multiple title blocks in my resource browser and replacing them (using the 'replace' in OIP) when required? I feel I will have lots of title templates, which is fine but want to check before I start creating them all. 

I hope this makes sense and apologies if the question has already been asked (I did try and search the forums.)

Total old school:  Does it work to place the scale bar in the VP annotations, but located to show in the title block area? If the VPs are in the file template  the scale bar would always be present. Template should include several sizes of VP so you have control on sheets with multi VPs and only single title block.

-B

Hi both.

Yes I want the scale bar to be on the title sheet (title block layout) but would like to be able to change its scale to represent the scale of the viewports.

I'm going to do it Benson Shaw's way, just tried it and it makes sense. As long as its on my template to start with and everyone else copies it for new drawings it should be fine. 

Thank you. 

Although having the scale bar in the design layer and then onto the sheet via VP means the scale bar can get quite big (like at 1:10 for example)
I've attached an image where the top scale bar is in a VP where as the one below is within my title block plug in that I have set up but obviously its set to 1:100 and I dont know how to change this if my next sheet is say 1:50....other than having multiple title blocks set up?

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 09.14.50.png

No sorry I was just trying out how it would work within the vp. But its not really doing what I want it too. 

Basically lets say my GA drawing is 1:50 on my first sheet and its within the title block style that I've set up. My next sheet however showing elevations for example might be a bigger or larger scale, but my scale bar is still 1:50 as its set with the title block being used on multiple sheets- how can I do this so that it is changeable? 

Unless I just have the scale bar not within the title block and I paste it to each sheet and change it accordingly. 

2 hours ago, nikihoops said:

No sorry I was just trying out how it would work within the vp. But its not really doing what I want it too. 

Basically lets say my GA drawing is 1:50 on my first sheet and its within the title block style that I've set up. My next sheet however showing elevations for example might be a bigger or larger scale, but my scale bar is still 1:50 as its set with the title block being used on multiple sheets- how can I do this so that it is changeable? 

Unless I just have the scale bar not within the title block and I paste it to each sheet and change it accordingly. 

I'm guessing when you say "scale bar" in this instance you are talking about your own scale bar symbol rather than the VW Scale Bar object. If you place a Title Block Border on a Sheet Layer, anything within it will be displayed at 1:1 because a sheet layer's scale is 1:1. The VW Scale Bar object automatically sets itself to the scale of the "layer/viewport" its on/in. If its used in a title block on a Sheet Layer it will always show as 1:1. Benson's advice works with the VW Scale Bar because it will assume the scale of the Sheet Layer Viewport when you place it in the Annotations space.

My personal approach is to always list the scale in the title block "As Noted" and depend on the Drawing Label and VW Scale Bar in the Annotation of each individual Sheet Layer Viewport to communicate scale.

I know of one company that had custom scale bars that they placed on Sheet Layers. They had many different versions to maintain its visual appearance on the page but have it show the correct units and scale. It sounds like this is what interests you - to maintain the visual appearance of the scale bar from sheet to sheet while also showing the correct scale. The danger there is that its up to the draftsperson to make sure all the information is updated if the Sheet Layer Viewport on the sheet changes scale. To guard against mistakes their scale bar also had a page scale reference.

Kevin

Example of using the VW Scale Bar inside the annotations of various viewports and within the title block -

5a3be67d04a2a_ScreenShot2017-12-21at8_46_38AM.thumb.png.f4befecd86438fa550cac0293ccde781.png

15 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Hi Kevin McAllister 

Yes I wasn't clear in my original message but you are right, I want to use my own scale bar. 

I have in the past done as you say where we have multiple scale bars and then its down the the drafts person to change this accordingly for each sheet, leaving us open to mistakes. This is why I wanted to add it to my title block template in hope that it could change when I change the scale - or another clever way.

I will take a look at the VW scale bar and see if that works for me.

Thanks everyone for your input. Helpful as always :)
Sorry I wasnt quite clear in my firs post! 

Merry Xmas to you all.