Dual monitor irritation 2018

jnr

Question

Vectorworks will not stay home on a second monitor, especially on a Mac. In order to keep floating palettes from reverting back the screen the program is parked on everytime you click on another program, one has to assign the program to all desktops. The downside is everytime you open the program, you have to move the program window to the second monitor. The Adobe suite does not have this issue. If I move it to my second monitor, leaving palettes on the first, when I close then reopen the program, everything goes back to how I left it. Vectorworks does not. 

Now that the program has a multi-view, floating view, environment well suited to a dual monitor set up, this needs to be corrected in a Service Pack and not torture us for another year.

4 answers to this question

@jnr- your signature lists 2015, but the topic title says 2018; Which version are you having this happen?

I’ve been having this same problem in Vw2016 with MacOS 10.12 Sierra on a MacBook Pro. It is frustrating, especially in that it doesn’t happen every time.

I want to keep my main Vw window on my external 24” monitor and most of the palettes on the laptop display, but around 20% of the time the main Vw window opens up on the laptop display.

I have not used Vw2017 & 2018 enough to know if this is still happening in more current releases. I would love for it to get fixed.

Edited by rDesign
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Just updated to macOS 10.13.2 myself from 10.12, and this behavior seems to have gotten worse. Moreso for Vectorworks but the behavior of other apps also seems to have changed as well. I'll note in the report that it isn't just a Mac vs Windows thing, but that the experience also changes between versions of VW as well as macOS.

(I'm firmly in the Windows and Palettes Should Stay Where I Put Em camp.)

Other programs (like everything Adobe),  in a dual monitor environment, open where you last closed the program window. Now with the ability to split screen and drag windows around in Vectorworks, its time the program work like eveyone else's. Everyday I open, and drag the vectorworks window to my second monitor.  Its irritating....