Earlier version VW Import woes

mjm

As one can see, 2018's import function seems to corrupt the text layout. Far as I can make out, there's no fix in 2018 possible.

Intriguingly, 2017 has no trouble. I am importing from a VW 2008 file.

Thoughts? Fixes?

Thanks

PS; oh yes, the third screenshot? that's from the correct v2017, saved, then opened in v2018. Why does it fail?

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 10.32.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 10.32.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 10.41.09 AM.png

So, when I break a fixture symbol down to a group, ungroup, then select text objects, they're all wrapped. There any way this can be globally adjusted within the symbol? All PIO fields are greyed-out

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 10.53.56 AM.png

Edited by mjm
Added additional info

I feel your pain! I have just opened a 2008 drawing in 2018 with the same results. I am not sure what fix to offer yet. I imported a new label legend and applied it to some of my instruments  and all behaves fine with those. Maybe you should remake the label legends or import them from a recent design? 

Hope that helps a bit?!

20 minutes ago, markdd said:

I feel your pain! I have just opened a 2008 drawing in 2018 with the same results. I am not sure what fix to offer yet. I imported a new label legend and applied it to some of my instruments  and all behaves fine with those. Maybe you should remake the label legends or import them from a recent design? 

Hope that helps a bit?!

Thanks Mark. And right back atcha.

Sadly, (now, but certainly not then) I was using @Sam Jones Autoplot VW plugins, which I loved dearly. I need to see if there's a APVW to SL translation mechanism which would perhaps solve the problem in on swell foop, as it were…

Edited by mjm

I'm assuming the file has APVW symbols that need to be converted.  This is problematic since there have been a number of changes to the Light Info Record of Spotlight symbols.  However, I just sent a macro to do such a conversion to Michael Mazzola.  Let me know if you want to try it.  If if doesn't work, I should be able to change so that it will.  I will need you to send me a file with APVW symbols to test it on.  That being said APVW symbols don't use label legends so the best such a conversion macro could do would be to apply the default or active label legend to the converted symbols.  Additionally it is likely that the converted symbols would not have a Light Info Record which could pose an issue with Vision and maybe some regular Spotlight renderings.

Sam