Wall Style Total R-Value

David Poiron

Question

6 answers to this question

Instead of just totaling up the nominal R-values of the wall assembly, what would be more useful is to calculate the effective or real R-value of the Wall assembly which takes into account the effects of thermal bridging based on the construction type of the wall.

The calculated real or effective R-value can be much lower than the nominal R-value. 

Edited by rDesign
2 hours ago, rDesign said:

Instead of just totaling up the nominal R-values of the wall assembly, what would be more useful is to calculate the effective or real R-value of the Wall assembly which takes into account the effects of thermal bridging based on the construction type of the wall.

The calculated real or effective R-value can be much lower than the nominal R-value. 

Or could be higher as they don't take in to account the air skin in the outsides of the walls or any internal cavities.

16 hours ago, rDesign said:

Totally.  A total of each components R-value is a wasted exercise and would not be accepted by most if not all jurisdictions.  Here in New Brunswick we use Canada's National Building Code and it requires us to show the effective R-value for all exterior assemblies in a Part-9 building.  Having VW handle the calcs would be helpful.  It is always good though to know how to make the calcs to ensure the answer is correct.  Is it possible that the answer could be different depending on where you are?  I would think it should be the same.

Gets my vote.

The ability in Vectorworks to calculate the effective R-value of parallel items within components would be great. However, in my example the lambda of component 4 is calculated to take this into account and so the total would be correct. I'm just asking for the total to be displayed in this location. It would be nice to have air films included in some way too but I consider these to be a "fudge-factor" to review in case I am very close to the required values.

I see what your saying @David PoironI wouldn't want to take away from your wish, lets just add to it.  So a couple or a few results could be posted.

1...a simple sum of all present R-Values 

2...an Effective R-Value of the wall assembly.

Number 2 would be useful in putting together a worksheet showing the Effective R-Values for permit purposes.

Edited by Markvl