Prefix to label legends (# before channel number)

Cookie_NZ

Hello all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a prefix to a field in an instrument's label legend that appears on the plan, but not in the field value?  I have requests from LDs I work with to have a "#" prefix in the channel field and a  "DMX" prefix in the address field.  This works fine within VW but creates problems when working with the Lightwright data exchange as it cannot accept prefixes in these fields.  

I have developed a workaround of having a container for the label legend which contains an offset "#" instead of a container.  When this container is applied to the channel field I get a # prefix on the plan which doesn't appear in the field data for channel on the instrument.  The problem with this solution is the # doesn't dynamically change with the size of the channel.  So if it's a channel in the tens it will need a different offset from a channel in the thousands to format correctly.  Multiple label legends to deal with this is of course an option, but not particularly elegant.  

Any suggestions most welcome!  Many thanks.

Cookie

The container solution is exactly how I do DMX addresses, because it's the only real way to deal with it.  An alternative, but error-prone way of dealing with it, is to use a user field for your display info.

I really want VW, or at least spotlight, to have an "auto calculation" parameter type where it could auto-create certain field styles based on a combination of other field info.  I use this extensively in Filemaker.  For instance, when I have a Universe and Address field, I have a separate field which auto calculates to the universe, a dot, and then the address in three-digit mode (Universe 6, address 37 calculates as 6.037), for paperwork.  This would be invaluable for things like circuit name and number,  so that circuit 2A 5 doesn't become 5 2A when you rotate your symbol.  

17 hours ago, SamIWas said:

This would be invaluable for things like circuit name and number,  so that circuit 2A 5 doesn't become 5 2A when you rotate your symbol.  

I personally think that the fields of the labels should have a lay-out where distance and direction stays the same relative to the other labels, in stead of to the symbol. So a rotation of the instrument will not change the layout of the labels. 

Maybe be you want to read my wish list topics about label legends and numbering intstruments. And add your two cents there. I think the whole system of numbering instruments and label legends should be made much less cumbersome. 

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/53543-spotlight-lable-legend-tool/

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/53546-spotlight-improvements-to-numbering-instruments/

Hi Sam & Sebastiaan,

Thanks for the replies.  Interesting to know that others are using the same workaround.  

I agree that Label Legends are an area that could use further development.  It's always a juggling act as a production electrician producing a plan which keeps the LD & the crew happy while maintaining all the data I require (in the right formats!) to serve my needs.  Certainly a prefix that could be added within the Label Legend manager which responds to the font/size/colour of it's associated attribute would get my vote.  

Regards,

Cookie

On 16/12/2017 at 3:19 PM, Cookie_NZ said:

Certainly a prefix that could be added within the Label Legend manager which responds to the font/size/colour of it's associated attribute would get my vote.  

You could use text styles based on classes to achieve this. If the channel class has a text style associated with it then as long as the prefix text object is using the channel class and you have set the class to use a particular text style, then all should be fine.

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 09.20.04.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 09.20.55.png