Project Tool Failed

Juvs

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem...

"I'm doing the trusses for the ballroom. I'm following the VW 2017 Entertainment GSG"

is all the info you need lol

My fix was to check the W, H, X, And Y. All of my measurements from the rectangle had a few fractions of an inch added to them for some reason?

Make it an even number and it'll work :)

I'm guessing they are trying to make the panel example using the Project Tool at about the 3:00 minute mark in this Entertainment GSG video - http://www.vectorworks.net/training/2018/getting-started-guides/entertainment/truss-display-panels

If the rectangle/polygon that's created project is larger than the face of the truss, projecting it upward will fail. The rectangle/polygon needs to be created accurately so it falls within the boundaries of the surface you're projecting to (in this case the curved chord of the upper truss).

(In a real world application I would try to use the Extract Surface Mode of the Extract Tool wherever possible so that my shapes match the existing 3d geometry. I'm sure the intention of the GSG is to use as many different methods as possible to show the range of possible approaches and in this particular example there's a few extra steps to use the Extract Tool because the bottom truss extends under the side verticals.)

Kevin

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same problem. Created a loft surface using two NURBS curves, drew a rectangle under it, and tried to use the project tool to make a solid between the rectangle and the loft surface. Nothing happened, except "Project Tool Failed". 

I thought maybe the Loft surface wasn't closed or something, so I remade it using the rail method. Didn't help. I also redrew the rectangle, in case there was something wrong with that one. Same result.

Using VW2021. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 3.03.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 3.02.57 AM.png

Test.vwx

17 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Turns out I had to pretend I wanted to project tool to project down instead of up. Not sure exactly what determines which side of a 2D polygon is the top, but in this instance, the bottom side was the top.

>I'm having the same problem. Created a loft surface using two NURBS curves,
>drew a rectangle under it, and tried to use the project tool to make a solid between
>the rectangle and the loft surface. Nothing happened, except "Project Tool Failed". 
>
>I thought maybe the Loft surface wasn't closed or something, so I remade it using

>the rail method. Didn't help. I also redrew the rectangle, in case there was something

>wrong with that one. Same result.

>

>Using VW2021. Any ideas?